Default Bees on my property.

I live on 6 rural acres in western ny and these are what frequent my property. Since I am very new to this I am very hungry for information. Any info on what kind of bee or any other insight would be awesome. There are plenty around so maybe I can catch a swarm or two next season. Thanx!!!

Default Re: Bees on my property.

It's a honey bee. The coloration is not uncommon. Do a search on "Beelining" if you have the time and you may learn whether the bees are coming from a managed hive or are feral and liv e in a tree. Do not get hung up upon what specific "race" of bee it is. According to everything I've read the honeybee "races" in the US have been intermingled so long that the talk of "races" is almost meaningless.
    BTW lovely photos, and how did you learn so quickly to post photos directly? I can't do that.

Wow cool pics! What's the white specs? Pollen?
    I am a NewB... Gathering info and equipment... Will get the bees spring of 2011!......um well let's make that 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    BTW lovely photos, and how did you learn so quickly to post photos directly? I can't do that.
    LBSbandit posted his great photos to Photobucket.com, and then linked to them here. Its quite easy to do that, but if you want a how-to-guide, see post #8 of this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Photo-pragram
    Note that LBSbandit used the Direct Link offered by Photobucket, instead of the Email & IM Link referred to in the how-to. The Direct Link results in the photo being displayed directly in the thread, while the Email & IM Link places a link that must be clicked to view the photo.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Radar, that is going to be very helpful. Thanks.

Thanks for the info Adrian and yes I have had a photobucket for sometime now. I am on a couple other forums. The Rose of Sharon the bee is in has very big pollen granules.

I took these this morning. I now have thousands of bees working the golden rod but still have no clue where they are coming from. I stood for a while to see if I could tell where they were going but they are just too darn fast and seem to have no ryme or reason to their flight path. Anyhow at least its a good sign I might be able to catch a swarm or two next season.

those look like trevors bees. he must have hives near there.