Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: labels on Mason Jars

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    .they're still trying to figure out what that was all about.
    Moonshine I bet.

This is the best place I have found.

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/32-...0G-CT-P27.aspx

The freight will be high to CA so do a search for economy quart mayo jar and see if you can find a local producer. You get a good break if you buy at least a pallet at a time.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

We use the round labels from onlinelabels.com also. That has our apiary info on it. I buy the Kerr jars from Walmart. They have the least raised lettering. I put the nutritional information and a label with the infant warning and crystalizing warning. If its local I put a little label indicating that too. All the labels on the jar come of when soaking the jar for a few hours so they can use it.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson

I sell about 60 - 70% of my honey in canning jars. I use Kerr jars with three smooth sides. I buy them at a great discount from one of the grocery stores, part of a chain of 3, that I wholesale my honey to. The price I get cannot be beat by any big box store. Negotiate something similar and buy back from your biggest customer. My back, your back type thing.
    Besides that, Kerr jars are American made. I let my customers know that they are buying
    local American honey packed in American made jars. Most understand the extra dollar or so that I charge to do this. The rest can buy chinese junk in chinese jars. Stand up for America in your purchases, and Americans who care will stand up for you and your product.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

I agree that is why I buy the Kerr jars. Walmart has the Chinese jars also for a buck cheaper a case....they can keep them. For $.10 a jar I'll keep some Americans employed.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson

Up until this year, I used sticky labels on the sides of mason jars. As folks have said, it's tough to find a place for both a front and back label. Re-liquifying required placing those jars in zip-locs before their water bath.

This year, I tried something new. I used the free Avery Design Pro software to print circular labels on heavy paper. These labels go onto the lids and then the ring is spun down on top. I set it up to print two sizes - one for wide-mouth jars and one for regular-mouth jars (When canning jars go on sale, I grab them regardless of mouth size or brand.). With some messing around, you can get it to print a backside that aligns with the front. I used circle punches from a craft store to punch out the labels.

Here's the front:
    Jar front.jpg

Here's the back:
    Jar back.jpg

It ends up looking like this:
    IMG_1068.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

FYI some states do not allow labels on the lid
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I use smooth sided canning jars and make my own labels. Here are some label templates if anyone is in need of them (https://www.box.com/s/ba910bcb9c67a928b5c5 and https://www.box.com/s/ffee8a3586c2e55a819c).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12