Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default labels on Mason Jars

Wondering what people do for putting labels on Mason jars (quarts and pints). The glass has raised designs/printing on all 4 sides and I don't see a spot for a decent size label. I used wide mouth jars so a round label on the lid could work.

What do you do or what have you seen? How satisfied are you? What is customer reaction?

Default Re: labels on Mason Jars

I just attached the label with a rubber band to avoid messing up the jar. I'll ask if there have been any comments when I see the person who runs the farm market. I was asked to bottle the honey in glass and the Mason jars were an easy solution for this year. At a friendly, small farm market I felt ok about not having the label stuck on. I did however have a smaller label stuck on the lid with the weight written on it...

Mine were pints and half pints...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I went to a round label on the lid. I sell all of my honey (well 99%) at a U-pick place, so a lot of the people that buy the honey can probably use the jar. This way they don't have to scrub the label off of the jar. The issue with the raised pattern is what got me to go to the lid label though. It's also easier to change the label on the lid if I put the wrong honey type.

Anyone using tied on labels? (similar to BeeCurious's rubber band) For the EAS Honey Exchange this year I tied a photo paper "label" onto the neck of a 1.5lb bear. Looked nice at first, but the paper soon curled.

Raffia would have been nice to tie my labels on with but I was pressed for time.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

We buy quart and pint mayo type jars. They are smooth all the way around and labels stick great.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Forget the Ball jars...get the Golden Harvest brand....there are three smooth sides on them.

Ed

Mainstays brand canning jars at Wally world is smooth all around

[What do you do or what have you seen? How satisfied are you? What is customer reaction?[/QUOTE]

If you have business cards, use a hole punch in one corner and tie a nice ribbon through the card around the lid. The wide mouths are kind of a pain because there isn't much lip. There are some pretty nice ribbons (some with bees on them) at most craft stores. The card works well because your get your advertising in someone's purse or wallet and it allows the customer to heat the honey in water without the wet label mess if it starts to crystalize. I was using the wally world jars that are smooth all around but then noticed the big fat Made in China print on the bottom. I'll pay the extra two bucks for the Ball jars or find them on sale (Menards has them pretty cheap right now).

Not sure how much you want to spend on labels, but you could look into heat shrink-fit labels.

I make round labels to go on the lids.

If you like that type and want to buy some I can custom make them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Clairesmom View Post
    If you like that type and want to buy some I can custom make them for you.
    Thanks for the offer - I've got 15 sheets of 2.25" round Weatherproof Polyester Laser labels on order from onlinelabels.com

We had a nice picture background and text for a regular label, but will be making due with B&W on the laser printer for the time being. A pretty hang card tied with a blue ribbon or my wife's home spun yarn is a possibility. And I will be looking for a local supply of non-Ball Mason jars.

Family Dollar Stores carry the Golden Harvest down here, Andrew, along with a few other places that I can't recall at the moment.

Ed

Picked up four cases of Golden Harvest Mason jars today (2 qts, 2 pts) and there is plenty of room for a label! And they are roughly 25% cheaper than the Ball jars I was getting! So depending on how well we like whatever label we come up with I'll probably head back to Family Dollar and buy a several year supply.

Put a bug in the manager's ear that you want to buy a quantity...they *might* give a little discount if you let them order them in...it would all be "plus" business for him.

Ed

On a side note...Fred's also carries the Golden Harvest jars. My mentor could not find any in the town he normally shops in...I found close to thiry cases of quarts at the local Fred's...my mentor bought'em all....they're still trying to figure out what that was all about.

Ed

"....thiry cases of quarts...."
    Full moon coming?
    Good thing they didn't stock up on sugar at the same time!
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mike haney View Post
    "....thiry cases of quarts...."
    Full moon coming?
    Good thing they didn't stock up on sugar at the same time!
    <chuckle> Nah...most folks use gallon jugs for that down here.

Ed

We started buying smooth sided canning jars and really like the cheap china ones at Wally World that come with lids and rings!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

Hay Broke-T, where you you buy them from? Who and how???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast