Thread: Malathion

Default Malathion

the landowner where my hives are is going to spray malathion and mustang max within 100 feet of my hives tonight. These sprays are both "24hour to harvest" ok but I am worried about them leaving the hive in the morning and getting to the sprayed fruit before the spray breaks down. Anyone have any experience with either of these chemicals being used close to your hives?

Default Re: Malathion

"Terrestrial Invertebrates
    •• Malathion is highly toxic to bees, whether from direct contact, contact with foliar residues, or contact with residues on pollen.
    The honey bee topical LD50 is 0.71 μg/bee.3
    •• Malathion is toxic to other beneficial insect species, and very highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates.1,3
    •• The LC50 for worms is 613 mg/kg of soil.3" from internet lable for malathion

What is he spraying for? might be better safer insecticides out there if you knew the target. If not close up hive in the evening maybe drape them in a wet sheet to keep drift out. If it is a blooming crop that is being sprayed move the hives thats my thoughts... if it is grass once it is dry probably not a big risk for the hives

We are having a huge problem with California fruit flies. The bees are on blueberry fields and some growers are losing everything. The suggestion of sheets is appreciated. That is probably the best I can do on such short notice. Thank you again.

is it the cherry vinegar fruit fly?

Not sure exactly which fly it is. Totally a new bug around here. My family that farm are pretty sure it is called "we will lose our entire crop unless we spray like there is no tomorrow fly". There are people here who have. Some fields are not even acceptable for juice, total loss this year.

On the upside I got ahold of Dewey Caron from OSU extension and he concurred on wet sheets covering the hives for drift and stoppering hive entrances with damp rags until 10 or 11am. Thanks!!

Update, my bees lived! Whew!

Spotted wing drosophila is the cause of all the extra malathion spraying in the Willamette Valley this summer. Drosophila suzukii.