Default Maxant uncapping plane

Just got to use mine. Good piece of kit! From what I understand it does not do shallow frames, mine are deeps. No sore wrists! Very happy with it.

Default Re: Maxant uncapping plane

how did you go about setting the depth?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I just guessed and set the blade about 1/2 way down the slots. Seems to be good enough for me. It might be a little deep for uniform comb and a bit shallow for irregular so I just left it at that.

Will it work on mediums??

thanks doc. i am going to try and use one for the first time here in the next couple of weeks. did you have any problem with it getting too hot?

i hope it works on mediums, i was about to order one from Beemaid !!

anyone know how well it works with mediums as LeonardS asked???

Ben

as far as working on mediums, it is the perfect width for a medium. maxant has a video on their website showing a guy using one. can't wait to try mine.

another guy has a video on you tube, he says he has to unplug his and let it cool off after a couple of frames. anyone else notice this?

How about working Full Size frames?

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    How about working Full Size frames?
    i think it would work fine with full size frames, just have to make a couple of passes. it would probably be too heavy if it were made large enough to accomodate a full size frame in one pass.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i think it would work fine with full size frames, just have to make a couple of passes. it would probably be too heavy if it were made large enough to accomodate a full size frame in one pass.
    I would love to see a short video to check how it works. Most of my frames are Full Size

Well yet again Beemaid has them on backorder. so i just went ahead and got the heated uncapping knife instead.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    I would love to see a short video to check how it works. Most of my frames are Full Size
    search for the maxant website, you should find it there.

I was very disappointed with my purchase as it does not fit into shallow super frames. It should work on all other or larger frames. They really should properly describe this product and how it works on the various web pages that sell it. There also is a need for a thermostatic control to prevent over heating. It is an old design that needs updating and it wouldn't take much creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by woodedareas View Post
    I was very disappointed with my purchase as it does not fit into shallow super frames. It should work on all other or larger frames. They really should properly describe this product and how it works on the various web pages that sell it. There also is a need for a thermostatic control to prevent over heating. It is an old design that needs updating and it wouldn't take much creativity.

i can see how it wouldn't work on shallows. did you have to turn it on and off alot to control the temp?

I didn't really need to turn it off. I only did 3 deeps in this extraction. While working continuous it is fine. When I took a short pause I put it in my uncapping tank on some comb/wax and it seemed fine. There is an on/off switch a short way down the cord from the plane which really beats unplugging it if you want it off. As far as a thermostat goes it might be nice but one more thing to break. If you're a 2 person operation then one can uncap while the other extracts and in my case I didn't really need to turn it off. If you're going to spin an extractor by hand you might want to turn it off between frames.

Another nice thing about it is the current draw is about 200 watts. Where I was extracting I don't have power so I ran it off an inverter hooked to my truck battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Little View Post
    Well yet again Beemaid has them on backorder. so i just went ahead and got the heated uncapping knife instead.

Ben
    I ordered mine pretty early from them to avoid the Christmas rush! Let me know how the knife works out for you. I wasn't sure which one to get (I had an old steam uncapping knife that gave me sore wrists at the end of uncapping).