Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New york honey

Default New york honey

FINALY my best honey crop just finished my second extraction. Today I extracted 6 buckets of dark summer honey. In July I extracted 5 buckets of light honey. Now all my colmb is ready for goldenrod. can't wait!!!!!!

Default Re: New york honey

Me to! Can't wait for goldenrod. Come on warm weather. Tony

Extracted 7 barrels of honey yesterday and 5 today. Three hundred more shallow supers to go.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

The great thing is I sold the first 5 buckets already. I might be in the green this year!!!

How many pounds in a bucket? I am asking as bucket is not a standard measure

Seems like a good summer for NY State Beeks!

Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    How many pounds in a bucket? I am asking as bucket is not a standard measure
    5 gallon pails is what I refer to as buckets. I don't know what HHF means exactly.

A five gallon bucket is 60lbs

Five more barrels extracted today.

Congrats to all you New York Beekeepers on a great season .Let me ask you all a question do you leave any goldenrod on the hives or do you harvest it all.And feed sugarwater later?Down here in the mountains of NC after the Sourwood flow I let the bees make their winter stores off of the Aster&Goldenrod flow.

WE have a great goldenrod flow here they make alot of honey off it. I will get three to four suppers and they will make there stores for winter.

Hi, Jeremy K good to see someone else in Oswego County. I live on Mud Lake off of Co Rte 29 Tony

Quote Originally Posted by mudlake View Post
    Hi, Jeremy K good to see someone else in Oswego County. I live on Mud Lake off of Co Rte 29 Tony
    Hi Tony, I'm over in the Town of Oswego. I hope you have have good luck with your hives this summer!

Does anyones summer honey seem very dark this year? I talked to a few beekeepers and they said the same. They said its was do to the dry conditions this year.

the summer honey is dark and dryer than normal. beeks have been reporting the same all accross the drought areas. some think the darker honey is sumac, but it started showing up long after sumac, I had some last year also, gave to my resident honey expert, he couldn't identify it. Now I tasted some honey out of supers in Penn. nice light, absolutely no taste.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

No its not sumac I extracted after sumac it must be clover.

Wow down here were lucky if they make enough so that we don't have to feed.Good luck.

My NY summer honey is light. Good crop. The flow started early and went late. Maple going in supers...we started supering April 18. Sumac was light not dark. Great Basswood flow. Good clover flow. 60 drums so far with many supers to pull. Kork tells me the deeps of foundation are drawn...ran out of supers...and the broodnests are heavy. 6-8 thousand comb honey cuts. Overall, a good crop in northeast New York.

Maybe your friend from MA should become your neighbor there.
    Haven't heard anything from him or about him. Did he change his mind and decide to styay put? Were we not welcomiong enuf?

Because of the lack of rain, Jefferson Co., Watertown area, has produced very little honey this year when it usually produces great crops. One migratory beekeeper has already left the State for FL and another plans on getting his South by October 15th, if not sooner. THree other migratory beekeepers report short or no crop there.

One report from the Finger Lakes (the Vinegar Lakes I call them sometimes) is that goldenrod is coming in and filling a medium super per week the last cpl of wks.

Mike you must have had good moisturer up noth of us, Im having the best year I ever had, I went to the seminar at Morisville NY this spring and trying to winter 8 nucs cant wait to see the results!!!! I listened to your advice on not splitting production hive and worked awsome.