Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Homemade extractor question...

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Intheswamp 
#1 ·
I recently built and used a homemade extractor. I was very pleased and suprised on how well it worked. It is basically a threaded rod powered by a drill and extracts the honey into a large drum. After extracting half a super, the base of the rod started to wander around on the bottom of the drum. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can mount to the bottom in order to hold the base of the rod to prevent it from moving and keep it centered??

#4 ·
Here is a couple pix...

Bucket Plastic Floor

The frames are clamped in with a wing nut between to the 2 slotted angle iron. Here is a pic of the bottom of the rod which I just capped with a cap nut to allow it to spin better on the bottom of the drum
Wheel Tire Automotive exterior Bumper Rim

Here is the bottom of the drum where I would like to attach something that would keep the rod centered and stop it from wandering

#5 ·
Youtube is a great resource. There are a bunch of two-frame homemade extractor videos. From what I've seen most folks attach a bearing on the bottom. You can screw it through to a block on the bottom.

#8 ·
I would get something like this:

A PVC flange, with a smooth 1" interior diameter, bolt to the bottom of your bucket with nylon or stainless bolts with a little silicon around the bolt holes to seal it up and then press in a 1" PVC bushing with whatever interior diameter works with your metal rod. It doesn't have to be a perfect fit, just get it close. If you can find a flange with the right interior diameter you could just use that but I bet it will be easier to get an oversized flange and then reduce it with a bushing than to find one small enough to fit your rod.

Drop a stainless steel washer or something else hard into the bottom for the rod to rest on so that it doesn't eat through the bottom of your bucket and your set. Should all cost about 10$ at any decent hardware store.

I wouldn't worry about trying to use ball bearings or the like for anything with this low of an RPM and thrust,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.