Default Third times a charm? I hope! Whats going on in this video, robbing?

These are swarms that moved in this spring. My wife and I have seen this several times and always between 6-7pm and it only lasts for about 30 min. There's about 8 frames between brood, pollen, honey and nectar. I was planning on letting them swarm into the yellow nucs you see. I checked them soon after seeing it for myself and found that the nuc on the top had a small bunch of bees and a laying worker (several eggs in one cell) and honey. At that time I closed down the entrances of all the hives and figured I'd put it in gods hands now.

I've seen robbing before at one of my outside apiaries when I left wet honey suppers out. There were tons of bees falling like softballs off the upper corners of the lid but these guys are in town and it only last for a short while were as the other times it was from sun up to sun down.

I used the bottom bars off a couple bad frames and reduced the entrance down to a 1'' or so and there's a 1'' hole drilled into the upper side of the hive body. In the morning it'll be business as usual but I worry about the heat were having, it's around 95+

Thank you for your time and opinion.

Mike

Default Re: Third times a charm? I hope! Whats going on in this video, robbing?

Im guessing orientation flights, robbing does'nt start and stop at the same time, it is also continuous it goes on all day.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I've not watched the video as I refuse to update my browser and java, but from your description it's oriention and cleansing flight. This happens every day at the same time for about twenty to thirty minutes. If it was real robbing you would have no doubt as to what was going on. It would be hundreds to thousands of bees, fighting, dead bees, and comb debris on the landing board as the robbers tear the comb up getting the honey out. And as said above, it goes on all day until the hive is empty, it can kill off a hive in short order. I think you are safe. As far as the worry of over heating, I doubt it'll be a problem if there is water available for the bees to get, if there's water around they'll keep the hive environment where they want it.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Thanks for the input. Do you think I should open up the entrance again so they have more room and their able to get in and out quicker. I haven't seen any bearding a night. I also forgot to mention I have em sitting on screened bottom boards that are completely open underneath.

What size enterence do you have on there now? It looks like your hives are only 1 box, if so they cant be that strong of a hive. I would have the enterence reducer set at the small opening for now, you dont have that many bees in your hives to need the enterence opened all the way. Steve
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Interesting video.

Looks like afternoon orientation flights.

Watch the bees at the entrance. Robbers don’t bring in pollen or nectar. Are there Gaurd bees at the entrence checking bees as they fly in? Robbers will not post guards and guard will not let robber pass.

During heavy orientation flights it might be hard to see what going on. Drones are not robbers but often in the spring mix in the orientation flights with the workers. Robbing will not stop on its own until all the honey is gone. Once it calms down look for those things at the entrance.

Looks like orientation to me. And it appears as if your swarms must be growing well when that video was made. How has it fared since?
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!