Hybrid View

Default Foundationless studies

Does someone have any links to small cell or natural cell foundation effects on Varroa. I've heard from several people and even noticed an article in the ABJ that said small cell beekeeping had no effect on varroa levels. I'm curious what studies have been done and published by reputable sources. Or even the effects of natural cell (foundationless) on hive health and diseases/pests in general. Please and thank you.

Default Re: Foundationless studies

T152, your first link and your last link are the same information from two different sources (trade journal, sci. publication) and are both against small cell foundation. All of it is interesting reading though!

My opinion is that we need to stop making the bees do what is not natural for them in the broodnest, like giving them small or large cell foundation. How about letting the bees draw what they want, or don't we trust them to do what is right for the colony. Everyone would like a quick fix to the varroa problem, but let's see, it's been over 100+ years that we have been forcing them to be unnatural in the broodnest with respect to cell size, so a solution is not going to happen that fast. I use natural cell in my broodnests, and my bees still have mites, but I have not lost a hive to mites in over 4 years and they are extremely productive. John

None of the studies that have been done test in real world conditions, throughout all the seasons, over a period of years, the way we real beekeepers keep bees.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    None of the studies that have been done test in real world conditions
    Sure there have been...Look what happened to all the feral colonies on foundation less comb when varroa arrived? For all practical purposes, they became extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    None of the studies that have been done test in real world conditions, throughout all the seasons, over a period of years, the way we real beekeepers keep bees.
    Still waiting for the SC folks to publish a study the way they say it should be done. I even offered one well known SC proponent a slot at EAS 2+ years ago if he could do the study "The right way." Something empiracle and not..."It works for me, so I don't need to do no da** study.

If you're going to discount Seeley, Berry, et al, then you have to come up with something that backs up your claims.

I'm still waiting.

The first one is a study that showed small cell doesn't work.

And if you read to the bottom of the Beenatural guy page it shows he is no longer small cell. He gave up on it.

The other two I believe sell bees. Simply marketing.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A