Default Washington State Pricing

What do you folks in western Washington get for honey at farmers markets in containers up to 3 pounds and pounds of creamed honey. My grandson wants to sell my honey at a flea market and I don't want to under or over charge for the market? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Vance G; 08-18-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Washington State Pricing

Vance, I sell my one pound jars for 15.50 and three pounds I sell for 40.00 I am in eatonville I hopethis helps you
    also go to a grocery store and see what they are pricing thats what i did to set my price

WOW! I hope you get a good crop! That is roughly 250% higher that shown in the magazine for your region. Do you have some special quality honey or wealthy community that allows this price to prevail. You said you went by the stores for a guide. Do they get a higher than prevailing price too? I remember once doing everything but calling a guy from Arizona a liar when he said that people paid $8 for a bale of hay for their horse that would have cost me fifty cents at the time. I do not discount your report, I just want to understand. You are not far from where the selling will happen at the big labor day flea market.

Vance G . I went by the price at the local market here for private label honey. the market here sells local private honey but if i'm to high please let me know what sell for you can pm me. thanks johns Bees.

My prices are in line with Johns. Keep in mind that the prices listed in magazines are usually for bulk honey wholesale. The price is variable by area, but you should be able to get at least $9/pound. Some people will balk at the price no matter where you are and say that the beekeeper down the street sells for a LOT less. Many hobby beekeepers have no idea of what a cost basis analysis is and have no real idea of how much it really costs them to produce that jar of honey. They will often price their product based on what the other guy is selling it for and may lose money as a result. Going by the store prices will give you a better basis for determine cost in the area.

Thankyou, very sensible. Still appreciate more input please.

I sold out of 8 oz muths at $8 apiece, as a curiosity/gift item. We also offered quarts for $25 this year as an adoption fundraiser - next year I'll offer them at $20.

All my sales were to friends and family, so that price could depend on your grandsons "network". I'm near Portland OR, just over the state line.

There is a guy with a roadside stand/out of his van here in the summers, selling quarts for $25 all day long!

We saw honey at the Spokane Fair yesterday for $25.00 in one gallon jugs. Can't remember what it weighed. Seems like it was $3.50 a pound....thought that was really cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by kellymt View Post
    We saw honey at the Spokane Fair yesterday for $25.00 in one gallon jugs. Can't remember what it weighed. Seems like it was $3.50 a pound....thought that was really cheap!
    That is really cheap and I know why b/c I bought some honey from I believe the same folks and after I tasted it I realized why it was cheap. You get what you pay for!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

We in the east are lucky to get 10.00 per quart and we think here at Poor Valley Bee Farm that we produce some of the finest honey in the Blue Ridge Mountains.Check us out at www.poorvalley beefarm.com.