Hybrid View

Default fermenting cappingss

we recently extracted and being lazy, I didn't want to deal with my cappings. From 15 supers, I draine off the cappings, then I placed the cappings in two fermentation buckets, covered with water, stirred, and it read 16 brix. I tossed in a packet of 71b-1122 and it started rocking. After a couple days I gently stirred the wax, after a couple more days the wax rose in a cap that looked clean so I started scooping it off. I then rendered the fairly clean wax. An early taste indicates a decent final product. Just sharing for the potential of an easy way to get some mead and also clean some cappings...
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Default Re: fermenting cappingss

Last year I asked on the forum if this could be done. As you say, all you need is a hydrometer and you are apeing our long ago ancestors. Good information and a good warm weather yeast. Why not KIV-1116?

Have not tried the KIV-1116. Tried 1118 some time ago and it seemed to take a long time to clear out funky esters. The 71b seems to clean up fast

I like 71b too but it needs racked off the lees in a reasonable time or they can create some problems. ec-1118 and KIV are a little more user friendly but they go to a higher ABV and do need more aging. I like the 71B for fruit and cyser.

After a couple batches, some drinking, I don't trust the brix reading with this method. It does seems that the cappings from one super, once drained, are good for about one gallon. So, if you uncapped five supers, drained for a couple days, you could make five gallons of mead of reasonable ABV from the cappings. Add more fermentables for higher ABV. I then pour through a 600 micron filter, to catch the wax. Process and dry the honey free wax

Next time, try adding some sulfite to the beginning.
    At the point when you read the Brix @ 16, you can add sulfite @ 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallon

This will keep fermentation from kicking off, since you've diluted the honey to a point where its susceptible
    Then you can continue to mix/mash/stir it up for 12-24 hrs

Remeasure SG after 12-24 hours, before pitching the yeast & you should see some difference just from the extended time