17 pounds honey
    five pounds of frozen peeled mandarin oranges
    4 sliced very good valencias
    seven cloves
    4 cinnamon sticks
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    1/8 tsp allspice
    1tbsp fleichmans rapid rise bread yeast
    I have no raisins so I will add a half pound tomorrow after I get to the store.
    Aereating with a fine ancient aquarium pump and yea olde philosophers airstone. Air lock it!
    That is quite a pile of honey in the bottom of a carboy! Not used to seeing that as I do primary ferment in a bucket.
    Water to three inches low/ will fill later after activity wans.

I started this batch in July for a party and it didn't quite get done on time. It still seemed to disappear though. The real recipe calls for an orange a gallon, 25 raisins, 1 cinnamon stick, one clove and a small pinch each of the other spices. I wish I had OB honey to use. You just cut the orange in eigths and jam it in the gallon jar. The mandarin oranges were why I cut down on valencias and messed up the final result. It finishes sweet and it tried to really finish sweet with the extra sugar in the mandarins. I took a half gallon of 1.040 sweet mead out for the party and refilled the carboy with a mixture of orange juice and apple juice which I sweetened to 1.040. This diluted the oversweet rest and it started working again and is down to 1.032 and I am hoping for a little dryer. Still time to start this. It likes 70's and low eighties and a dark place. It is done when it clears and the fruit starts to drop. Mines not done but it is pretty good still. I think it will be great for the Holidays. I also think a gallon is the wimp clause. I bet this stuff would be much better with a year or so of age on it.

Default Re: Joes ancient Orange Mead for Thanksgiving and Christmas

Really, bread yeast?

Default Re: Joes ancient Orange Mead for Thanksgiving and Christmas

This is ancient mead! They didn't have wine yeast back then. You ignore the rules and just do this one. Trust me. It finishes sweet. The sweet is needed to balance the pith and it is a fine drink.