Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Doing my first split(s) next week

Original hive being hot could mean you removed their queen. You really need to verify all hives are queenright.

Quote Originally Posted by gunter62 View Post
    Original hive being hot could mean you removed their queen. You really need to verify all hives are queenright.
    Agreed, I was waiting for them to settle down and it started raining. I slipped out for a picture and I think I know which NUC to look in based on not everyone can get in loading...

Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Well, I checked my nuc today to see if they had accepted the queen and to see if things had settled down. What I found was a disaster. I guess I made a huge "newbee" mistake. I thought I had made sure my queen cage was in a good position, but what I found was the worst case scenario. The queen was drowned by the jar feeder i had placed on top and inside the nuc. The $49.95 I paid for shipping is really making me ill now. I was really excited to see the new queen out in the hive today, now i feel really bad about the whole attempt to make a nuc.

I guess I will see if they can make their own queen now. (fingers crossed)

Mike, I hope yours goes alright.
    Greg Barnett
    7a

Greg,
    OUCH! Sorry about that. I am not sure on my condition yet, as soon as the rain settles down so I can get into the two NUCs to know my answer. I have one super mad at me that has chased me all the way back to the house twice. I guess I will have to put the full suit back on to checkout the NUCs. However I think I will just wear the vinyl thin gloves just in case I find my missing queen so I can put her in the right hive. Worse case for me is one of my queens has been killed by the other. So I would be in your situation of having to buy another queen. My shipping is less since I am 1.5 hours from my vendor and USPS priority mail is next day. One day we will be better!
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

WOOHOOT!!! The first frame I pulled from the suspected NUC in the picture above had the queen on it. Rather than trying to pick her up I prodded her to walk off the frame back into her hive with a twig. I then checked the same NUC as I had just put a new queen in it this morning. No issues just bees clustered on the queen cage. Now to leave them alone for a bit.
    I got lucky this time and also did some newbee lessons!
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Quote Originally Posted by mmmooretx View Post
    Greg,
    OUCH! Sorry about that. I am not sure on my condition yet, as soon as the rain settles down so I can get into the two NUCs to know my answer. I have one super mad at me that has chased me all the way back to the house twice. I guess I will have to put the full suit back on to checkout the NUCs. However I think I will just wear the vinyl thin gloves just in case I find my missing queen so I can put her in the right hive. Worse case for me is one of my queens has been killed by the other. So I would be in your situation of having to buy another queen. My shipping is less since I am 1.5 hours from my vendor and USPS priority mail is next day. One day we will be better!
    Well, I guess at least we are learning! Do you think the bees may be able to fix the situation themselves? I may just let them raise a queen. I don't know. I will have to think on it.
    Greg Barnett
    7a

Great news Mike. Things went your way today. You should just call all of that skill!
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-26-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: UNQuote
    Greg Barnett
    7a

Maybe. It depends on the strength of the hive and if they have a viable egg to make a queen from. If the do you are 45 days from seeing any eggs,assuming nothing happens to the queen on her mating flight, like a hungry bird. I plan on studying queen rearing next month, but may not execute due to the limits on a city lot (5 max. hives). You do have a tough decision.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

It's usually 30 days until you see new eggs, not 45, under normal circumstances.

OK, I got it queenright yesterday and swapped positions of the original hive and NUCs. Do these pictures indicate any issues? There seems to be unusually large activity on both NUCs. The yellow one is the one I mistakenly had my original queen in accidently.

Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Michael Bush has a page in his website called Bee Math. Link below. It's full of great info for timelines - how long till I get a queen, eggs, etc.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Greg, you may be running out of time for letting a queen be raised and then get the nuc up to winter survival. Since you just lost a queen and fitty bucks shipping, I can certainly understand wanting not to invest in another. Maybe cut your losses and combine with original hive and be ready in spring to split. That way you have time to make a goof and then fix it without the pressure of impending winter.

Mike, I'm sorry, I really am unable to follow where what queen is but Gunter is correct - a hot hive can mean queenless. Are you saying you added a new queen to a nuc that already had a queen?
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Seymore View Post

Mike, I'm sorry, I really am unable to follow where what queen is but Gunter is correct - a hot hive can mean queenless. Are you saying you added a new queen to a nuc that already had a queen?
    Sorry, the timeline is the original queen was transferred to the NUC with the yellow entrance system on Thursday when I did the split accidentally (unknown at that time). I re-queened the NUC#2 (green NUC was done on Thur. with first new queen, accidental short ship from supplier) Sat. at 10:00 AM when the new (second) queen arrived in the mail. Later that afternoon I noticed how full it was and went back into the hive and found the original queen on the first frame I pulled from NUC#2 (yellow entrance). I prodded her off the frame back into the original hive entrance, where she walked right in. I did swap hive positions on Sat. also (original and two NUCs). The pictures were taken on Sunday afternoon. I will probably go back into the NUC#2 to see if the queen is out and put an empty frame in and stay out of it for the next week. If these NUCs build up fast I am going to pull the plywood "table" off the stand and put two more 10 frame setups on it. They seem to build very quickly when being fed HBH & Amino B, plus MegaBee patties. I want them very prepared for winter and do not plan on pulling any honey this year. The main hive has settled back down now that their queen is back, I guess it takes a bit for the pheromones to disperse through the hive so the know they are not queenless.
    BTW Seymore where in Arkansas? I graduated from HS in Camden, many moons ago. I have my eye on Yellville near Mountain Home for retirement.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Well it sounds like everyone is QR now so that's the important thing. Just watch for robbing, but those reducers look like they may just do the trick. Ya like them?

I'm just west of Hot Springs. Grew up in HS and moved back after 20 years in SoCal. We are also scouting retirement. I'll check out Yellville. North Arkansas is beautiful. You sure you won't feel closed in with all those hills???
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

I need some time with the entrance "wheels" before I can comment. I got them from Brushy Mountain. They have 4 positions, fully open, travel vent, queen excluder (current setting) and bumblebee excluder. I drilled a 1" hole for the entrance. So far I like them but we will see how they do over a couple of years.
    I actually did a year at Arkadelphia State Teachers College and drove to HS for beer since we were in a dry county... My rational for Yellville is proximity to the county airport, for medivac, and proximity to hospitals. I looked at Eurika but it is on the wrong side of the lake time wise. I do have friends near Fayetteville so that is open too.
    Thanks for the tag up.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Based on the bearding activity I moved both NUCs into 10 frame boxes then left them alone for about 5 days. I checked the NUC 2 that got the new queen last Sat. as I saw very little bee activity at the entrance. Well almost all of the bees migrated back to the original hive and it is pretty weak, but the queen is there. NUC 1 is much stronger , but will leave them alone for another week before checking. Original hive is still taking nearly a gallon of syrup mix a day and hive 2 (NUC 1) is over a quart a day. Hive 1 inspection tomorrow, too much rain today.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I like that hive stand !

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Fugate View Post
    I like that hive stand !
    I found it on YouTube. Very simple the short pieces were 20" but on the 10' one I built on Sat. they are 17". I am using the Country Rubes SBB and the way they do the bottoms I had to sister 20" 2X4s on the inside of the stand so they would fit correctly. Even if you buy everything the most expensive items are the 1/2" pipe floor stands, $6.50 each at Lowes. I think the legs are 18" and my new one the are 10". The long pieces are 55" which as you can see in the picture is a bit narrow, and with 2 deeps one med and a top feeder it is pretty tall.

It is standing on some 12" square concrete "bricks" about 1-2" thick. The stand is leveled side to side and front to back, as I am starting to insert some foundatiomless frames.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Follow up on my nuc mistake. I thought I would see if my nuc would build queen cells, after I killed the new queen. I checked the nuc this past Saturday and there were no queen cells. That was two weeks after I put frames in the box. I added another frame of brood, to keep the numbers up. I ordered a new queen on Sunday. I ordered a mated buckfast queen.

She came today and I went to install her around 6pm. When I got into the nuc, there were 4 queen cells on the last frame I put in (there was a lot of bees in the nuc). I destroyed the queen cells. I really hated to do that and wish I had better knowledge to raise queens. Rest assured, I installed the new queen cage better this time. I guess we will see how this one goes!

Mike, I hope your project is coming along.
    Greg Barnett
    7a

I had to resarect this thread due to a newbee MAJOR error! Well this morning I added a second deep to my new split hives since around 70% had comb built up with brood and stores. Well I had lunch and decided to put the shorter legs, 10" vs. 18", since I also added a med. super to my original hive as I only had one half of a frame empty in the second deep (did not go into the lower one). Anyway I got my farm jack out plus othr tools, nw jegs, etc. and started to raise it to unscrew tne pipe legs. Of couse the entire stand fell over and many thousands of angry bees decided I deserved to become a pin cushon. Luckily I was wearing my full bee suit and did not get stung. well I fixed the stand to its shorter configuration and reassembled the three hives. I had just filled all three FBM feeders, and put in one of the Beetle Jail traps that has also has drone fundation in it. I know I hae lost hundreds of bees, and I am hoping for the best on my queens. If no luck on the queens there is plenty of brood. I plan on waiting aome time before I go in them again. I hope the veggie oil tha was in the inside beetle traps does not cause any issues (all hives have Country Rubes SBBs so I hope all drains.
    Any helpful advice on thigs I should have done or need to do would be appreciated

Last edited by mmmooretx; 10-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12