Hybrid View

Default Doing my first split(s) next week

OK preparing for next year I decided to do some splits. My first hive is 80% filled on the upper brood chamber and 60% on the lower. The queen is laying well and they are being fed with HBH & Amino B. I am going to split to 2 NUCs, I am building this weekend, and my new queens are shipping next Wed. (arrive on Thursday 23 Aug.). Is two brood, one honey, and two empty good for each of the new NUCs? I will be setting up a feeder for them too with the same blend of syrup as above. Quickly I will be building a second brood chamber for each for room to grow.
    I am going over Mike Bush's splits page and would appreciate any constructive advice. After Winter I will migrate the two NUCs to 8 or 10 frame Langs.
    Thanks
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Default Re: Doing my first split(s) next week

I'm a beginner, but just inspected my two nucs' i made a couple of weeks back. I used a frame of brood and a frame of honey/Syrup.
    and three new frames of undrawn foundation. They both seem to be doing fantastic.

G.

I am making a nuc tomorrow. My new mated, carniolan, queen will arrive in the morning. My plan is for one frame of brood and one frame of honey and I am trying foundationless frames for the first time. We shall see. This is my first attempt at starting a nuc.
    Let me know how yours goes Mike.
    Greg Barnett
    7a

Don't forget some pollen! I try to make it so the bees don't really need to forage until one turnover of brood. Just a little insurance.

Before you add your queens to your queenless nucs, go over each frame real well and make sure that they didnt start a queen cell. If they did destroy it, or else the money you spent on new queens will be wasted.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Making your frame of stores mostly pollen is better as you will be feeding syrup. I usually make mine up a little stronger for less management and feeding. 1 frame of sealed brood, 1 frame of older open larva to hold the bees in the nuc better a frame of nectar and frame of pollen and a undrawn frame. Then put a feeder on it as long as they'll take it and not plug out the nuc. Best of luck, many opinions here and they all sound good. Depends on your management preference and materials on hand.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Ray, what do you mean by don't plug out the nuc? Make it honey bound?
    Last edited by Seymore; 08-17-2012 at 05:12 AM.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Yeah, that was the basic reason I was thinking 3 frames plus 2 empty as I want them to have some room to grow. I definitely do not want it maxed out on install, which would set me up in a swarm condition too quickly. These bees are pretty active. They drew out 2 foundationless, Kelley, frames nearly to the edge and filled them, uncapped last week, in two weeks.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Quote Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
    Ray, what do you mean by don't plug out the nuc? Make it honey bound?
    Yes, the nucs are small, the queen is not mated yet, the nuc can get plugged out with honey quicker that we sometimes think. They do well with a small trickle feeder of some sort, not a blast of syrup all at once. Once the queen has mated, the nuc will start to draw wax on that blank frame and you'll be off and running, keeeping watch so the nuc does not swarm on you.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir