Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dribbling Oxalic

Hi Jim
    Thinking about trying the oxalic dribble this winter in FL.
    What have you found is the most efficient way to apply - the Oliver garden sprayer method at 5 ml per seam of bees?
    Ever experimented with different concentrations of acid?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by acbz View Post
    Hi Jim
    Thinking about trying the oxalic dribble this winter in FL.
    What have you found is the most efficient way to apply - the Oliver garden sprayer method at 5 ml per seam of bees?
    Ever experimented with different concentrations of acid?
    Thanks.
    Aaron: I have used the 3.2% formulation and a garden sprayer set to spray a thin stream a lot like this. http://scientificbeekeeping.com/the-...ral-miticides/ No I havent experimented with different concentrations, I read a study a few years ago showing very little additional benefit going any stronger than the 3.2% rate. If you are treating a single we just flip them over on their top and spray down onto the bottom bars. With a double we spit the hive and stand the top box on end and spray between the bottom bars of the top box and down onto the top bars of the lower box as needed. Once you get the hang of it you can treat a lot of hives pretty quickly. If there is an adverse reaction to the spray it sure isnt noticable except in the real small hives that just dont seem to be able to handle it. I dont ever recall seeing many if any dead bees but you sure will see lots of dead mites on the bottom boards. Get the better quality garden sprayers that have a little plastic filter where the hose screws into the sprayer and clean it out daily. We also filter everything through a fine strainer and pull the plunger out of the sprayer and thoroughly rinse it daily. A few minutes a day cleaning and maintaining them will save a lot of aggravation. Its pretty benign stuff at that concentration but wear goggles or keep some clean water handy for eye rinse as it can occasionally splash through your veil and into your face. I have had it happen on occasion and just splashed some water in my eye and never even had any discomfort. Use warm and not hot water to mix as any steam vapor coming off of it can be kind of nasty.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Jim,

How small of a colony have you treated? I'm going to be overwinter some nucs. I'm sure some will only be five frames, hopefully packed with bees. How about 10 frames, 5 over 5?

Tom

In my mind any hive under about 5 frames is going to have trouble handling a treatment. Try a real light spray on one if you are in doubt and see how it looks in a day or two.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

If you have a feed store near you that sells horse medications they will have 50ml syringe. filling the syringe will do one hive with 5ml down each gap that has bees.
    Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12