Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dadant 12 frame extractor.. should I buy or not

Thinking of getting a 12 frame used Dadant extractor. Its electric, supposedly works but "may need some cleaning inside". My dilemma is I only have 2 hives (A weak hive and a REALLY weak hive) with a plan to get at most 2 more. Seems like a big extractor for a small operation. The price is about half the cost of a new one but more than a brand new maxant smaller model. Has anyone used the 12 frame Dadant?? Pros cons??

Dan

Default Re: Dadant 12 frame extractor.. should I buy or not

You may not need an extractor at this point. Even with 5 hives you can just do the crush and strain method quite efficiently. Google for crush and strain and you will be amazed how many nice videos come up, and how simple it is.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

I considered the crush and strain but then the bees need to re-draw the comb. Since they are having issues drawing comb, I figured this is not the best idea in my situation. I still may end up doing that though. Not sure yet what to do.

If the price is right, then jump on it.
    Its better to grow into equipment, than out grow equipment.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

I agree with Jake
    I have a 12 frame Dadant I bought several years ago for half price (I gave 450 so you know how long I have had it) I have replaced the bottom berring a couple of time but havent had to since I found an American made berring,"American Made" is why I would buy Maxant if I were buying new!

Always buy larger than you "think" you need (in beekeeping that is)
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

We currently have 6 hives, with the intention of growing to no more than 8 or 10 until we are retired and have more time. We purchased a 20 frame Dadant extractor, knowing it was probably way more machine than we needed at the time. However, we were able to acquire it, along with a Mann Lake bottling tank from a friend for a very good price. Both are like new, and the extractor is a pleasure to use and easy to clean. The first time we extracted, we knew we had made a good decision. It made the work of extracting really enjoyable, and it's always nice to have the right quality tool for the job. Honestly, it's the best money we have spent on beekeeping!
    Please visit our Beekeeping Blog
    http://akhoneybees.blogspot.com/

Have a 12 frame Dadant. Paid $425 an auction and very good condition,

Works well.

A small issue is that the area to insert frames is tight when extracting deep frames. A bit tight to pull out when reversing the frames.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

reversing the frames.
    ????

Yeah, thats what caught my attention. Why would you reverse frames on a radial extractor? I have a Dadant 6/12 and I love it.Mine cost around $1200 so if you can get it for half that I would go for it.

Buy it!

I have one and it's a great extractor. I would only buy it if your thinking of expanding your apiary to more than a few hives. You can probably get yourself a used 3 frame extractor for a decent price.

I do have space for more hives. I guess if I bought this extractor I would have to get more hives. Wonder if my wife will agree with that logic. Methinks not. Im going to check out the extractor and see what it looks like at least.

10 hives would give you a good excuse to buy it. Its not hard to get from 2 to 10,I went from 5 to 50 a couple of years. 10 hives is a good manageable level that wouldnt require a lot of time but would give you enough volume to use a bigger extractor. "Logic" and "wife" are a contradiction anyway. My wife wanted to be a beekeeper so we got a couple of hives, the second year she petered out and I ended up with 26 hives. The next year it was 50. She hasnt cracked open a hive in 5 years.

The trailing side of comb extracts quite a bit earlier and easier than leading side of comb. Was having trouble with comb being ripped of the foundation and had some frame damage, so have been doing some warming of full frames and do some reversing of frames to minimze damage and get fully extracted comb.

That's my procedure.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I have been using my Dadant 12 frame radial extractor since the mid 80's when I bought it new for $750 which was right about the time I bought out an 85 year old beekeeper down by St. Louis. He cried when we drove away with his colonies. I have consistently kept approximately 25+/- colonies,and that extractor has spun out alot of honey! I've never done anything but basic cleanup and it still works well for me. The bottom bearing maybe grumbles just a bit. I guess I'll have to have my husband take a look at it when he's not golfing! We both love our hobbies, but mine pays!

All you with the 12 frame dadant.. 2 questions. 1) Do you have a "belt driven" motor or non belt driven. Any issues with the belt? Any parts issues? 2) Do you fit 12 frames of mediums in there?

Thanks!!

I have a direct drive one that I just got this year(sold off 2 older extractors and bought this one) My buddy up the road a couple of miles has the same extractor but its belt drive (he's had it around 15 years) No issues with mine yet of coarse but I've only used it twice. I really love the ability to control speed on the direct drive unit. My Buddy said that he has never had any problems with his except sometimes he has to replace the friction washer(I guess where you tighten down on it to engage the belt)

direct drive, yes 12 meds or shallows, just got through doing 17 deeps for a guy

Get bigger than what you need. I just got an 18/9, hoping to grow into it, but whenever I pick up a hobby, I gotta get the toys to go along with it. Yeah, you can crush and strain, but It's SPINNING!!!!!!!

What Brand/Model did you purchase?
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-30-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: UNQUOTE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast