Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 5:3 fall sugar water mix

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    I give up. Even with 5:3 ratio mine is still crystallizing in my top feeder. I'm going with a 1:1 ratio, 4# sugar to 2 quarts (or more) of water, hoping to melt all the sugar crystals in the feeder. I used my hive tool to break up the crystals into small pieces hoping the warm, thin sugar water would/will melt the crystals.
    why not just ad a little more water ? instead of going back to 1-1
    thats the way i roll.

Ok you math guys, I have about 7 gallons of 1:1 left over from the dearth we had mid-summer. How much sugar needed to make it 5:3. About 1/2 pound of sugar gallon of 1:1 close enough? I'm remembering that 1 gallon of water plus 8 pounds of surgar makes 1-1/2 gallon of syrup. Also, I added Honey B Healthy when I made the 1:1, do you all think it will harm the syrup to heat it just a touch to dissolve the extra sugar?

Quote Originally Posted by curios1 View Post
    why not just ad a little more water ? instead of going back to 1-1
    That's what I did when I changed to 1:1. 4# sugar to 2 quarts of water (not 1 1/4 quarts as for 5:3) when they needed to be fed again.

Quote Originally Posted by bwdenen View Post
    Ok you math guys, I have about 7 gallons of 1:1 left over from the dearth we had mid-summer. How much sugar needed to make it 5:3. About 1/2 pound of sugar gallon of 1:1 close enough? I'm remembering that 1 gallon of water plus 8 pounds of surgar makes 1-1/2 gallon of syrup. Also, I added Honey B Healthy when I made the 1:1, do you all think it will harm the syrup to heat it just a touch to dissolve the extra sugar?
    This'd better not give me a headache! 8# sugar to 4 quarts of water is 1:1 so: You have 7 gallon made from a 1:1 mix (8# sugar to 4 quarts of water that you claim produces 1 1/2 gallons of syrup. Therefore, 7 divided by 1 1/2 gives what you began with 7/1 X 2/3 = 14/3 = almost 5 groups of 8# of sugar = 40 # sugar and 20 quarts of water originally.
    40# of sugar for a 5:3 ratio would require 12 quarts of water, not 20; however, you want to know how much more sugar than the 40 pounds would be needed to match the 20 quarts of water; you've already used 40#. You would be exact by adding another 30# of sugar making 70# of sugar to 21 quarts of water or very, very close with a total of 69 pounds (another 29#) of sugar for the 20 gallons of water. So add 29-30 pounds of sugar, and you'll have your 5:3 ratio. You owe me a bottle of good gin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    This'd better not give me a headache! 8# sugar to 4 quarts of water is 1:1 so: You have 7 gallon made from a 1:1 mix (8# sugar to 4 quarts of water that you claim produces 1 1/2 gallons of syrup. Therefore, 7 divided by 1 1/2 gives what you began with 7/1 X 2/3 = 14/3 = almost 5 groups of 8# of sugar = 40 # sugar and 20 quarts of water originally.
    40# of sugar for a 5:3 ratio would require 12 quarts of water, not 20; however, you want to know how much more sugar than the 40 pounds would be needed to match the 20 quarts of water; you've already used 40#. You would be exact by adding another 30# of sugar making 70# of sugar to 21 quarts of water or very, very close with a total of 69 pounds (another 29#) of sugar for the 20 gallons of water. So add 29-30 pounds of sugar, and you'll have your 5:3 ratio. You owe me a bottle of good gin.
    WOW Is this a riddle contest?????

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
    WOW Is this a riddle contest?????
    No, but it might prove to be a good source of free drinks.

Took me a while to get my head around your forumula,. At first it didn't sound right but you nailed it.
    About that Gin...not one imbibe, maybe we can work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by bwdenen View Post
    took me a while to get my head around your forumula,. At first it didn't sound right but you nailed it.
    About that gin...not one imbibe, maybe we can work something out.
    sighhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123