Default Hello from Ontario

Well I picked up my first colony a few weeks ago. I am keeping bees in my backyard, in an urban setting north of Toronto. As we try to live a more sustainable and self-sufficient lifestyle through gardening and supporting local food sources, beekeeping just seemed to be a good fit. The more I read, the more I am fascinated with its challenges. Since our goal is really to produce our own natural, less processed sweetener for ourselves and family, I plan to go treatment free. We already use a lot of local honey in our baking and preserving. I had originally planned to build a TBH, but ended up going with Langstroth equipment. After lifting a couple of deep boxes, I also plan to go to all mediums. I plan to grow to add a second hive and couple of nuc's next spring.

Cheers,

Adam

Default Re: Hello from Ontario

I'd really like to find an ontario supplier for 8 frame mediums. Not having much luck I put in the time to make a few 2" thick cedar boxes for a warré I started this year and tried to learn some simple carpentry skills. The thing that struck me the most about not using frames is how much cozier the hive seems without all the extra wood creating space.

Good luck.

Thanks! I really like Warre hives. They look great. It seems that in Ontario most bees are sold as Langstroth nuc's. That and the good availability of reasonably priced Langstroth equipment were some of my reasons for going Langstroth.

Welcome Adam!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

It's pretty hard to find package bees. I've heard of one beekeeper selling them in the province and another who has been willing to shake hives into otherly shaped hives. I happened to have a box ready and was offered a swarm.