Hybrid View

Default My Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

Hi all,
    I have been researching oxalic acid vaporizers. This is what I built and wanted your opinions on it. I made everythingg from scrap I had in my shop. The box is a shallow supper that I screwed up and cut the boards too narrow. The first two pics show it set up for use with a portable propane torch. The last pic shows it set up for 12 volt use. All the copper fittings are tig welded for an air tight joint.
    Let me know what you think,
    Thanks all,
    Caleb

r70ox2.jpg

b5fr50.jpg

2lnfv2x.jpg

Default Re: My Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

That is a nice big horse but can she run? What shortcomings of existing designs led you to this design? No criticism, just asking for your "elevator pitch". You do nice work.

That is nice. I like things that are built well. Did you use real glass? I would imagine it will work really well from what I have seen other people doing on you tube and such. I wonder if someone has a screened bottom board if that throws off the fumigation. Will you make a video of this in use next?
    Nice Job!!!

Hi
    Thank you for the kind words.
    Over the past couple of of talking to people and studying designs online I decided that I liked this design. Not saying that this one is any better than any other design. I like being able to see what's going on in the hive through the glass window. After testing it out I do think at some point I will cut the height of the box down some. I did notice after the OA is vaporized that I can remove the combustion chamber and use an unlit smoker to pump air into the hive pushing the vapors every where.
    It is real glass in the window though I suspect plexiglas would have worked fine. I am running screened bottom boards. My thinking was once the vapors start to cool the OA should start to recrystlize and fall. Hopefully coating everything through out the hive. I'll see if I can post a video.
    Thanks
    Caleb

Hi, Making it a bit shallower would line up with another video I saw but if it is working well than I wouldn't think it would matter that much. The unlit smoker Ideas is a great Idea for pushing the vapor through. From what I have heard the oxalic vapor works excellent. Ya have to watch out not to breathe it in. I have seen a few videos of this process but I would like to see your technique. Your box is the nicest one I have seen. Does the vapor kill the small hive beetles too?

Could you give us some details on the 12 volt setup?

Beautiful job on this one shadow, I would like to learn more about your heat source and the 12 volt system as well......Bill