Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 10 acres of Pumpkins in full bloom, Amish soaking them with Sevin!?!?!!!!!

My wife doesn't use pesticides, and says that the only way to get rid of them without pesticides is by manually squashing every bug you see, and pulling off any leave containing eggs,and squashing them. What she does is plant radishes in between each of her squash or pumpkin plants. Apparently, the stink bugs don't like the radishes, and bug off. Of course, this does you absolutely no good whatsoever.

Default Re: 10 acres of Pumpkins in full bloom, Amish soaking them with Sevin!?!?!!!!!

Pumpkin flowers are only open for one day, can't you lock up your bees for 24 hours with screens? The traveling boys do it all the time. New day new flowers, even go for 36 hours.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Sevin XLR Plus may be an alternative spray. It can be sprayed in the evening and once it is dry is non-toxic to honeybees. It is effective for chewing insects. I'm not sure how squash bugs harm the plants, but may be a possible alternative if someone has to spray with bees present.

I know this dosn't apply to large acreages but on a small scale, milk works on powdery mildew. Matt Debacco at Uconn did a study that showed 40% whole milk and 60% water sprayed on the leaves really works. I use this on my Giant Pumpkins with good results.
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 08-15-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote

well I have PM resistant pumpkins, two varieties, but downy mildew kicked in and one variety is handling that much better. to be specific tilt bravo. I like ridamil but its 780 a gallon. Def not gonna use that on pumpkins. Maybe on watermelons.

Quote Originally Posted by julysun View Post
    Pumpkin flowers are only open for one day, can't you lock up your bees for 24 hours with screens? The traveling boys do it all the time. New day new flowers, even go for 36 hours.
    We traveling boys do not screen hives. We laod them on a truck then net the whole load. And then the truck has to keep moving all day long or you will cook the load, goes the same for doing it to a hive sitting on the ground you screen it even for a day and you WILL cook the hive killing most if not all the bees and brood. We pollinate Pumpkins all the time, our growers spray before the bloom before we set the bees in.

I think if there is a lesson to be learned from this situation it is that some sort of provision should be made ahead of time to have the equipment hand to screen in your hives or have them on some sort of pallet that would allow them to be quickly and easily moved out of the area.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

tough situation on both sides of this fence.

the squash bug is hard to kill and the adult form of what you pictured is quicker and hard bodied and hides. I wouldn't want the answer to sevin to be a systemic which is sprayed less often but is present in all plant tissues including pollen and nectar all the time. I have a large home garden growing summer and winter squash so the food supply is present longer for these buggars they suck the plant and scar the fruit reducing health of plant and appeal of produce. I used sevin in the evening it is contact so i get under leaves and around based where they hide then let it dry. when the flowers open in the morning it shouldn't be a problem unless they are drinking dew from leaves. Might want to close hives up for half a day after treatment to really let it dry. They will have to treat several more times this season. Recourse for losses wouldn't be the farmer if he is using it as lable indicates but many states will reimburse in this type of situation. good luck

Without seeing what the label on the specific formulation being used, it's hard to say anything...but a quick google found what appears to be a standard label for sevin...it states in part:
    This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or residues on blooming crops or weeds. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are visiting the treatment area. Contact your Cooperative Agricultural Extension SErvice or your local Bayer Environmental Science rep. for further information.

Directions For Use
    It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner inconsistant with its labeling.
    ...you can move the bees...but who is going to move the other pollinators? This use is most likely a clear violation of the label and therefore the law...and it's environmentally (and agriculturally) stupid.....they are poisoning the very insects that the need in order to have pumpkins...in order to grow pumpkins?

You have rights in this situation...if the neighbor is a reasonable sort, then you should talk to them. If not, contact your extension office, and cal bayer back and ask why they didn't point out that this was a direct violation of the label.

This is not something you have to live with.

deknow

I don't know if you have much more time, but if you do, check with your local cooperative extension office. They should be able to help you with some alternative treatments to recommend to the neighbors that may be less harmful to the bees..

Good luck!

...the pumpkins are not your problem. It's not your land, and you did not plant them. Let your neighbors figure out how to grow pumpkins and deal with the pests an a legal and reasonably environmentally sound manner.

deknow

I was thinking of my hives, with SBB and screened top vent I would have no problem blocking my entry for a day or two. And It is hot and humid in Houston. Other setups may differ.

...you "would have no problem" if you tried it? ...or you have done it and had no problem?

a less populous hive with room to spare might be ok...but I'd rather try it on your bees than on mine.

deknow

OK, I am ready, drop by anytime and we will run the test. If my bees face a life or death situation, I will use risky actions to save them every time rather than take no action. I know my bees can live for a week with two one bee entry holes because I have done that in a misguided effort to move to a top entry mode. Faced with Sevin in the morning With 50 hives at risk I would buy a ton of kitchen matches and prop up every hive body plus top plus bottom board and screen the entry. That is unless I could afford to take more extreme measures. OK, shoot me, but don't miss cause you won't like the return fire.

...so the answer is that no, you have not tried screening your bees in for 2 days with a SBB and a screen top vent? ...yet you are willing to state that it would be no problem? Regardless of what you are "not", you are giving bad advice.
    What good do "extreme measures" accomplish if they kill your bees?

When I screen in bees, it is with a full screen on the top and the bottom (and as I'm only doing this if I'm moving bees, I make sure there is plenty of extra room, even if I have to add in empty frames), and everything I do is geared towards getting them placed and unscreened ASAP. i've certainly had bees in a box screened in for a day, but never a box _full_ of bees.

The minute you "know" how something will work out, the bees will show you otherwise.

deknow

My bees have full screens, top and bottom. You are advising that it is OK to screen in a hive, as you have done, if empty frames are added to give room for the bees and to remove the screens ASAP. Now that may give the poster something he can work with. Good of you more experienced Bee Keepers to give tried and proven advice that may save some hives.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never advised that it was "ok to screen in a hive....if empty frames are added to give room...and to remove the screens ASAP."

I explained some of what I have done, and some of the precautions I have taken.

All of this is quite a bit different from simply screening in hives in the field. How packed is the hive full of bees? How much brood is going to emerge during the confinement (this is sometimes a problem for purchased nucs....a frame of emerging bees can cause overcrowding and death if there isn't room for them)? What is the temp? The humidity? The airflow? Are you going to give them water? How much? What method? What empty space is available (comb, foundation, undrawn foundationless frames)? Are the bees in full sun?

If the OP is doing well with the bees, they should be crowded in the hives...a good hive is too crowded to survive screening in for 2 days.

Confining bees is not something that should ever be performed without a lot of thought. Giving advice on what will work is a big responsibility (usually we give advice when we think someone should follow it). Giving advice to do something you have never tried (especially if you have not made this clear) is irresponsible.

In this situation, the neighbor is doing something illegal that harms the bees and all the other pollinators that would help their crops. I understand the responsible use of pesticides...this is not it...the neighbor is planting pumpkins that grow flowers to attract pollinators...then the neighbor is applying insect poison to the same flowers. The solution lies with the neighbor, not with screening in the bees.

deknow

Well Dean is pretty much on the mark with everything he has stated. Yes screening should be done with the idea that it is a short term plan and that it shouldnt be done if temps are expected to be high and they are in an unshaded area. Moving them is a much better solution in my mind. Sure you have legal recourse if the labeling isnt strictly followed. The trouble that I have found with all of this is that landowners are folks we try real hard to get along with. Whether they are right or wrong you are going to turn them into an enemy if you threaten legal action. Quite often we beekeepers are just guests on others property, there isnt a whole lot in it for the landowner most of the time and if they sense you are threatening their livelihood you may well lose some good locations. Educate them as best you can but be mindful when you do that your problems will take a backseat to his problems.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Jim, I agree that dealing with landowners and neighbors can be problematic. In this case, this is the beekeepers home yard and it seems that the neighbor is cooperating to some extent. I certainly would start with talking to the neighbor...but a home yard of 50 hives is worth protecting...and the neighbor has a lot to gain by having the bees next door...this sounds like something that can probably be worked out to everyone's advantage.

deknow

http://www.beesource.com/resources/u...p-pollination/

This article in BeeSource by the USDA Claims one way to protect bees from pesticides is entrance and top screening. It cautions that ventilation and temperature are hazards that must be tended to. Elsewhere it mentions wet burlap bag covers may be useful in that regard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast