Question Adding empty frames to hive - pros vs. cons

Hi!

I want my bees to have lots of work. I heard that you can add a medium of frames without foundation of any kind. I am not looking to gain lots of honey, but to keep my bees happy and keep them at home working hard!

I am considering adding a set of empty frames to my hive deep consisting of the brood deep hive, 1 medium full of honey, and one set of frames with 100% beeswax.

What pros are there in doing this? Any cons?

Please share if you have experienced attempting this before....

Thanks! Lori

Default Re: Adding empty frames to hive - pros vs. cons

If, by "empty frames" you mean foundationless then, yes, I do it all the time. Well, most of the time. I use a mostly the MannLake PF's in the brood nest and foundationless in the supers. Most of the time. You may try searching the forums for "foundationless". -js

Default Re: Adding empty frames to hive - pros vs. cons

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    If, by "empty frames" you mean foundationless then, yes, I do it all the time. Well, most of the time. I use a mostly the MannLake PF's in the brood nest and foundationless in the supers. Most of the time. You may try searching the forums for "foundationless". -js
    Yes, I meant foundationless. Sorry for the confusion. I think with my next medium, I will try it now that the bees have built up enough to get through winter.

Thanks!

Lori