Thread: Hive in Trouble

Default Hive in Trouble

First year with a Warre Hive. The hive started off in great shape, then I made an error! During the summer, the drought seemed to affect them, with the population dropping. There was a noticeable drop in the number of bees, and as the Goldenrod started to quit blooming I decided to feed them to help them through the upcoming winter. However, I left a top entrance open and installed a hive top feeder. I went out the other day and bees were swarming around like crazy. I was thinking it could have been a robbing incident. Ironically, before I got my bees I never saw any honey bees in this area on the mountain and now I am wondering If my hive may have swarmed without me noticing (6 kids, self employed, etc. etc.!) and the bees robbing the hive could have been my own bees!??!!

Anyway, now the population is way down. They have 2 boxes of comb. Anyway I can salvage this hive through the winter? Temperatures have now dropped so I don't want to open up the hive! Any advice???

Default Re: Hive in Trouble

Feed in small amounts right before dark. Aim for the amount that they will take down overnight. Really restrict down the entrance as well.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Feed them and let it be, if they survive the winter you will have a very strong hive in spring. Thats really all you can do, hope they survive.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson "To map out a course of action and follow it to the end requires courage". John 3;17

Thanks for the advice!

I bet it wasn't robbing. Robbing is flat out scary, bees rolling around on the ground sting each other, angry bees everywhere and then no hive at all afterwards. My bees seem to go crazy as a group around sundown but its not robbing. Clouds of bees but they don't chase you from the yard and everyone settles down on the porch to enjoy the cool evening.

Its really hard with just one hive. You're going to lose a few every year but if you only have one ...

Good luck.