Question Requeened - please advise on steps taken, and hives response

HI....

I re-queened 18 days ago on a hive with no existing brood in the deep hive, and two mediums 80% full of honey. During these last two weeks, I added sugar syrup. Last Friday, they had emptied the top feeder, so I removed it.
    I was not able to observe the hive, and was due to do it today, but the temps were unbearable, so I decided to wait till tomorrow morning. I went out this late afternoon only to find the bees flying around the entrance, many of which seemed like they were just waiting to be able to enter the hive. I quickly added an empty medium with 100% beeswax frames. They immediately started to calm down and re-enter the hive. It was over in minutes.

Did I save the bees from swarming or were there likely new bees emerging from brood and they were practice flying?

What do you all think?

-Lori

Default Re: Requeened - please advise on steps taken, and hives response

I say you saw Graduation day
    Orientation Flights
    Hope you find your queen is a laying machine

Yea I agree. They could also just have been hanging out in front of the hive. When it is really hot, you can sometimes see thousands of bees hanging out at the hive entrance or bearding on the hive in late summer.
    Just a heads up, if you put a feeder on with the honey supers on at the same time, anything in there is no longer human food... They have stored sugar syrup in it, and it's for the bees now.
    Enjoy your newly queenright hive!

Thank you!

Those two mediums are the bees food for the winter. Due to the addition of the 100% beeswax set of frames with queen excluder beneath it, I will not add anymore sugar syrup. I can't call it true honeycomb upon extraction if I taint it with man-made sugar - right?

Thanks for confirming this with me activematrix because I almost put sugar syrup on as I am new to this, and I have everyone here in San Diego hollaring that we need to feed our bees this Summer. I have lots of apple ice plant flowering around our home and a beautiful garden full of flowering cucumber plants among other things. Shouldn't this do enough for my two hives?

Thanks again!

Lori

I went into the hive, and it's doing GREAT! Brood on every frame...some half full, and one frame 100% full of brood! There is even areas of drone brood. TONS of big golden bees too! The hive is doing amazing! Obviously they accepted the queen

Ignore the hollering. If you have 2 medium supers full, your bees are far from starving. If there is a bad dearth they wont give you any more new honey, but they wont starve with that much honey over their heads. 2 hives need acres and acres, your garden will help but will definitely not be enough on its own. If your neighbors have nice gardens too... Then you might have a little oasis in a drought stricken land. Just because other beeks in the area are struggling, doesnt mean you are.