Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: craigslist post

Default craigslist post

Wondering what others think of this CL post. There is no option to contact poster.

FREE BEE REMOVALS (LEE COUNTY)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2012-08-01, 8:01AM EDT
    Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you want a free bee removal?

Getting a free bee removal from a good beekeeper is next to impossible!

A good beekeeper does not need bees. A good beekeeper can make bees for free!

Think about it this way. . . It's like trying to sell a puppy to a dog breeder.

Only inexperienced beekeepers look for free bees!

As a homeowner you may be held responsible for any damage or injury these
    inexperienced beekeepers cause to others while removing the bees.

Hire any professional bee removal company you choose. . . but absolutely leave the neophytes alone.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: craigslist post

I like the sentiment of it. -js

He may be right..... Very few things are really free, you often get what you pay for.

Sure there are exceptions it just never works out for me that way

Someone needs to lighten up. Maybe free removals are how neophytes get to be pros. Oh, and puppy breeders do occasionally need to buy new stock. I like my bees wherever I can get them.
    Last edited by StewRoten; 08-13-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Misunderstood the quote.

I love it

Might ask the guy if I can re post it in my area.

well seeing that I cant reply to the add I might just steal it.

Sounds like a overzealous commercial beekeeper with a chip on his/her shoulder.

Sounds like a 'free' removal service is kicking his tutu, and he doesn' like it.

Nothing is ever free.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

I just talked to someone that had a removal done. The guy traveled for an hour and a half, did the removal and then paid the homeowner for the bees. They then asked how much I would have paid for the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Sounds like a overzealous commercial beekeeper with a chip on his/her shoulder.
    That's what I thought too. I didn't like being called a "neophyte" nor do I think I am one. I would charge if Florida allowed it (no licence).

And he doesn't mention that most "professional" removal is almost always done with insecitcide, then swept up and thrown away. I do it because I like to and it saves bees. Requeen as necessary.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Counter with your own c/l ad that refutes that one:

"Are you tired of being charged extra for someone to spray your house full of cancer-causing chemicals?

Don't pay a "professional" to just kill the bees and walk away, leaving a big mess of sticky honey and wax in your walls for YOU to deal with."

And other "it could happen to you" statements.

Yes, as we all know, the more you pay for something the better the quality. If there was an add just above/below for someone that would do it for free, my guess is the free one would get more calls.

A new beek may be a general contractor, I dare say such a person would be exceptionally well suited to doing the job. Or it could be someone getting back into the game and is trying to keep their procurement costs down. My cousin was doing it free to avoid divorce. He has more time than money and he needed more hives, but he said that he is going to start charging now. But he had the skills and the equipment to do the work so it has been a good thing for him, and he learned a lot from the experience.

My guess is that people that will do it for free will only do it for so long.

Everyone of us is probably guilty of taking money out of someone elses assumed pocket. I'm sure that I royally upset some tree service when after the dericho(sp?) I removed the downed tree from the 80 year old neighbor yard across the way. No doubt it would have been several hundreds of dollars for what cost me a couple tanks of gas and a bunch of sweat.

Being a residential builder myself, it has helped tremendously in bee cut outs. I'll be the first to admit I accept swarms and do not charge within a set radius.
    Cut outs....... whole different thing alltogether. Never have been turned away for any of my fees yet.
    I have two more pending.

SHHHHH don't tell my wife! lol

Lol!!!

The competition posted his name and number in his ad. A very nice ad. Looks ligit to me.

When I was still doing cutouts I did many for free.... If it was a commercial or rental property I charged, Private residents and not 100 miles away I did it for free. I liked gaining the genetic diversity.

I flagged the ad this is in reference to as spam. If you can't compete, get out of the business and stop being a cry baby.

volunteerK9: "I just talked to someone that had a removal done. The guy traveled for an hour and a half, did the removal and then paid the homeowner for the bees. They then asked how much I would have paid for the bees."

I wonder how long the "beekeeper" will continue to do business that way? -js
    Last edited by dixiebooks; 08-14-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Add quote

If there is no method of contact why all the fuss?

Quote Originally Posted by rtoney View Post
    If there is no method of contact why all the fuss?
    Because it raises a philosophical/ethical question. -js

I can't believe that someone would pay for cutout bees. Are you sure it wasn't a swarm? Drove 3 hours round trip for the privilege to cutout someones pest and then pay for the bees? Doesn't sound plausible to me. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by VolunteerK9 View Post
    I just talked to someone that had a removal done. The guy traveled for an hour and a half, did the removal and then paid the homeowner for the bees. They then asked how much I would have paid for the bees.
    I got a swarm call earlier this year, I don't mind removing swarms especially at ground level for free so I thought I would just box them up and go home. This clown tried to charge ME for the bees. I told him I'll just dump them out and go home and he decided that it wasn't worth it to him either so I still left with a swarm without opening my wallet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast