Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Fill supers or deeps instead?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  HoneyChild 
#1 ·
I am waiting/hoping my bees will cap a few of the supers very soon before it gets too late here in August.

If the brood boxes have some honey in them now(how much is good at this time?), will the bees consume any of this from now until winter or will they consume the honey in the supers instead, if and when they might need it?

Will the bees have the cells in the brood boxes completely full of honey before starting to "add" to the supers?( I extracted once this summer already).
The reason that I ask is that I am hoping that once the brood store cells have honey in them I will be happy knowing that my bees have already "taken care" of themselves for the winter as far as honey stores go. And I will be at ease leaving supers on into the fall and not feel as if I might be stealing honey from what should be stored in the brood boxes.
Thanks, juzzerbee

#3 ·
I am new at this but what I am going to do is to take some frames out around the first part of September and cut the hives back to a deep and a super. Then I am going to feed them 2 to 1 sugar water and let them fill the frames for winter. I have not feed them during the summer and am not feeding now. I will see what happened and how it comes out early next spring. Sugar water is a lot cheaper than leaving the honey in my view.

#4 ·
I would never feed sugar with a super on. You do not want false honey in the super. If you want them to draw out frames feed them very weak syrup every day until everything you want is drawn out. If you want stores feed as thick as you can without it turning into a sugar block. I'm in the no feeding unless in dire straits krewe and of the I'm trying to make money not spend it mindset, so if you ask me, I will say "let 'em ride; what they got it what they got!" But, if you get worried once it gets to be below 50 degrees if you dont like the stores they have, just pour a few cups of granulated sugar right in the hive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.