Thread: Techniques

Default Techniques

I am a fairly new beek 6 hive so far this year. I have read several books, but am more of a visual learner. From the forum I have gained consideral theory about processes that would acomplish my goals but lack the knowledge to perform tasks with confidence. I would like to propose a new section maybe even a pictorial section on "how to" perform tasks. For example the combining new hives with newspaper. Sounds simple and maybe I'm reading too much in it but do the top bees have an outlet to the outside, how many sheets of newspaper, which goes on top weak or strong colony. Even the proper way to split a hive. There are many things on youtube but there is no one to correct or disspute the information. This section could be a referal for people that know what needs to be done but don't know how to do it. I'm sure with the talent of the people here someone will take the ball and run with it. Thankyou Doeboy

Default Re: Techniques

That is a good idea where people can submit what they want, but in the end I think you have to take into consideration everyone does it differently! There is no one set of rules. For example I was told for newspaper combining to use 2 sheets yet my friend beekeepers were like "oh no, just one in this heat"! So many variables come into play that the bee keeper has to use what is told, what they know and common sense conbined!

You tube has been great for me to visually see how many beekeepers keep their hives. Even better have been classes I was able to take. My area has alot to offer thank goodness. Have you checked around with your beekeeping clubs? Even our junior colleges has a beekeeping class.

I won't have access to the class til winter with the beek club. Missed it this year, got a late start with the bees. I have a lot of mentors that I mooch information off of but would like to be informed before I meet them so they don't think they are wasting their time with me. I think this would be a great area just because there are so many variables in nature and people. One person may have a better idea for my area than another. I think even the most experienced could learn a few things. My work schedule with two full time jobs keeps me during odd hours. so I look for what I can find when I have access to it. I think our differences make for a better oppertunity to succeed and maybe a better way to do things. I dont think any one person could post a technique without someone else posting the reasons it's right or wrong. I also think it would lead to a lot of deep discussions on the theory of bee behaviour. Doeboy

Well, I think its a great idea...

Doeboy, this sounds like a wonderful Idea.....Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DOEBOY View Post
    For example the combining new hives with newspaper. Sounds simple and maybe I'm reading too much in it but do the top bees have an outlet to the outside, how many sheets of newspaper, which goes on top weak or strong colony.
    I like your idea of "How to Videos". But, I think you are thinking to much about combining hives. My reaction is that the answer to your questions is "It doesn't matter. Just do it." But, maybe I don't think enough about whether what you ask about makes much difference. I'm sure someone has Theorys and answers to your question and know the "proper" way to do what you ask about. But, I believe that "proper" is maybe not the right word to use when doing something beekeepingwise.

Otherwise, I support your idea.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

do yal think this is something the moderators would consider. I don't think this is anything different than the other subsections. only difference would be the access to tutorials from people that will surely be held accountable by the members of the forum. the hive newspaper was a technique that I considered a while ago but only use it as an example. I think having a single topic discussion would not only consolidate instruction but would allow alternate variations and explanations from people who have refined procedures to get better results and spark deeper thoughts even new techniques. I hope the new subsection, if it comes to be, is worth while. doeboy
    Last edited by DOEBOY; 07-30-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Isn't that what beekeeping 101 is for?
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

I would consider beekeeping 101 to be a guide of what to do not how to do it. I feel the quick access to the information will be invaluable for folks that know what needs to be done but don't know the details that could be the link between failure and unabounding success. Doeboy

There may be difficulty w/ videos Posted on beesource. I don't know the technical term, but whatever it is, I bet it is limited. When I started Posting Photos I was warned that there was a limit to how many I could Post.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

One thing I have learned about the computer is how much information is available. When you have something you want to look at as a visual, just put that into your search column like this question you suggest in your post: video of combining bee hives using newspaper. When I did that I came up with over 36,000 articles on that wording. Of course not all are videos but the first 5 or so are, here are a few of those: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nJFMWEsujw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nJFMWEsujw There are more, but notice utube is a good source for videos on just about any topic about bees. Just word it as precise as possible, bee swarms, inspecting bee hives and such and when you get on the site there will be other shown on the right column about the same subject. Hope this helps you find many such visuals to help, I find them helpful also.