Default bug? that looks like a bat

I take care of a small orchard for my fee for having bees on the property. yesterday while looking at the trees had a strange insect? fly in and land on a limb. so I went over to look at it, its was 2 1/2- 3 inches tall, looked something like a bat except on top of its head appeared to be antenas with bulbs on them(eyes). didn't get to see it for very long as it and another suddenly took off and started flying around my head, I beat a hasty retreat. what I thought was even more interesting is when they flew the made a sound like clak,clack,clack very loud. now I've gone through all the insect books, bat pictures online, and even started looking at some of the new inteligence gathering devices that the government is claimed to be using and can't find anything that remotely looks like them(note I hadn't been drinking yet). I really hate to start looking in the fish books for something similar as there is not much water around this year. If anyone sees my picture posted on a government site please let me know.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Default Re: bug? that looks like a bat

Could it possibly be a praying mantis? I have not seen too many myself and don't know if they make a "clacking" sound when they fly.

> http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/58926.html

The only thing I can think of is a stalk eyed fly though your size is quite large. By "tall" do you mean long?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwBg&dur=4759

not a praying mantis and not a stalk eyed fly, I'm heading to the bird books next, sure wish I had a camers, mayby tomorrow I'll put my bee suit back on and go see if there still there.
    I guess I also should look at non usa insects etc may have been imported, sure hope it doesn't eat bees.
    mike syracuse ny

Helgramite?

I've gone through about every picture etc and can't figure out what it is, not a helgramite. Now my buddie wants to check my water bottle for any ppb chemicals. another came up with the best explanation, he thinks rep. ryan has them out gathering information on anyone that collects Soc. Sec. thats why there were two of them there, the owner also collects.
    I'm going back today, with protection incase it is some kind of bat, to try and get a picture.
    mike syracuse ny

I went back and found a smaller one but my battery on my camera was dead. here is the closest picture I can find
    periodical cicadas

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=1...21,s:163,i:347

not sure the above link will work will delete if it doesn't. they say should have red eyes, the one I saw had black eyes, now the key question since they lay there eggs and hatch appx 13-17 years after the eggs are laid, should I spray now or wait for them to hatch

the link worked this one is an exact match with black eyes, the stomach was white, I swear I counted more legs on it.
    mike syracuse ny