Default Formic acid vs Oxilic acid

Im trying to decide on a treatment for vorroa which would one recommend of the two mentioned above

Default Re: Formic acid vs Oxilic acid

Luka, I can't say i have tried either. If your not locked into useing one of these, I've noticed hopguard is now available in your state. I have heard nothing but good things from users. I just ordered for myself. Thought I would just pass that on.

how expensive is it

45$ a 4 liter bottle last year.

and how long does that last considering what i've read that you have to treat 3 weeks consecutively

He must be talking about buying a liter of formic acid. Hopsgaurd can not be purchased in a bottle to my knowledge. Hopsgaurd comes with 60strips for about $30. So unless you have a bunch of hives you could treat several times with just one pack.

But, comparing formic and oxalic is a big difference. Formic as in Mite away quick strips only require one treatment. If you are going to try and mix your own there are lots of different variables that will effect the treatment. You can google search and find lots of different methods for using formic acid. They all have different difficulty levels. Formic also has some temp requirements to pay attention to. These maybe more important if you are trying to make your own pads.

Oxalic in the vapor form will also require several treatments a week apart to help kill the mites that are in the brood. If you use the dribble method it can only be used once a year, and needs to be done during a broodless period to have much of an effect on total mite kill.

hi all.
    if you decide to treat or not is your own call, The link below has some valuable information in it about treating with formic acid.
    http://www.mitegone.com/index.asp