Default Another Question

Have a hive that had Italian Q, had to requeen so I got an hybrid Italian and Carniolan.So will my bees be diffent colors? Some like the carni and some like the italian? Thanks.

Default Re: Another Question

Yes you will prob from time to time get a mix, but I have the carni x Italian in one hive and I have noticed bees more pointy than the italian, also more of a dark color with the bands, some even look greyish to a light blueish in color. I like the Carniolan x Italian hybrid so far.

Yes I like the hybrid too.I put her in on June 16th,so the old forgers sould be gone. I think.Anyway I have the same colors as you but a lot of Italian too. Hows your queen laying?

She was released July 7th, and really didn't start laying for a couple of weeks, then resources were drying up, she shut down, only one or two capped cells would be seen, but she is coming back online now,seen about 20 to 30 capped brood cells today, they was probably more, didn't check all frames ,I was just hoping to see that she is doing her thang. I will know more about her laying in a week or so I hope. This is my struggling hive, so nothing at this point is going to surprise me.

Even if a queen is advertised as "pure" Italian or Carni or whatever, it's not unusual to have different colors of bees in a colony. A open-mated queen may mate with 15-30 drones, and although queen breeders try to saturate the breeding area with their drones, there's always the possibility of some neighborhood mutts getting into the mix.