Thread: Houdini Bees

Default Houdini Bees

In late June, we started several new hives with bees from the Indiana Queen Project. They've been building up nicely. Look like what one would expect. However, in the last two weeks the bees disappeared from two of them. Completely. Left capped brood behind. Not even a dead bee on the bottom screen. Since we check them every two weeks, I assume whatever stores they'd put up were robbed out as there were none in the hives. The queens were from different breeders. Had this happen to a swarm we'd caught earlier in the year, too. That hive had built up to the point I thought we might even get some honey. But, poof, they were gone, lock stock and barrel. Chalked that up to them absconding. Now I am not so sure.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Houdini Bees

Could the absconding be related to the drought Indiana has been experiencing?Maybe they left in search of greener pastures,where there are no greener pastures within flying distance.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2seed View Post
    Could the absconding be related to the drought Indiana has been experiencing?Maybe they left in search of greener pastures,where there are no greener pastures within flying distance.
    Had been feeding them, but...

I to got a marked laying QUEEN from IND. QUEEN PROJECT --put [2] frames of brood with lots of nurse bees a frame full of honey -[2] frames with wax foundation -[24] hours later added QUEEN on a frame -QUEEN was release in 2 1/2 day days -top feeder enclosed they eat 1 1/2 qt of syrup - robber screen --checked the [5] frame NUC week and half later --ABSCONDING

Quote Originally Posted by BooneCtyBeek View Post
    ... The queens were from different breeders. Had this happen to a swarm we'd caught earlier in the year, too.
    Strange - it's unusual for bees to leave brood. Is this a new bee yard for you, or one you've used in previous years without any absconding? Just wondering if "location" could be an issue.

Between you and allniter, we may have a discussion topic for a breakout session at the Fall Meeting!

no new yard for me --the only thing I should have done== I guess was put QE on the entrance --but like in the past they have brood-- they will stay and with a new QUEEN --no problem I though --wrong -that is what I get for thinking again --lol

CCD? I know its becoming taboo, but... Could be.