Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default The stupidest thing I did while beeping was...

Ok so I just finished adding queens to four nucs and doing a newspaper combine with two hives. It was hot as the blazes so I wore pants short sleeve shirt and a veil. Bees everywhere, not one sting. Great right? Well have you ever done something real stupid while beekeeping? Actually say to yourself this is probably a bad idea but do it anyway. Well I saw my smoker was not smoking anymore. I gave it a few puffs and nothing. So what does this idiot beekeeper do? I reach under the smoker and touch the bottom with the palm of my hand! Needless to say I burned two fingers and the outside of my palm. My wife had no sympathy for me.

So I figured to make myself feel better I would see how many folks out there are willing to admit their dumbest mistake. Don't worry I will not judge you.

Thanks for playing.

D-

Default Re: The stupidest thing I did while beeping was...

Hmm, how bad was the burn? Something about as bad is seeing the smoker is "out", puffing a few times, rain comes up so you just leave it in the floorboard of your jeep...you go back out to the jeep after the rain has gone, open the door, and you can't see the steering wheel for all the smoke from the "magically" rekindled smoker. Took a couple of months and *heavy* cleaning to get (most of) that smell out of the jeep!!!!!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Hmm, how bad was the burn? Something about as bad is seeing the smoker is "out", puffing a few times, rain comes up so you just leave it in the floorboard of your jeep...you go back out to the jeep after the rain has gone, open the door, and you can't see the steering wheel for all the smoke from the "magically" rekindled smoker. Took a couple of months and *heavy* cleaning to get (most of) that smell out of the jeep!!!!!

Ed
    Wow Ed. That was dumb! Sorry I said I wouldn't judge. Seriously though thanks for sharing. Thank God you still have your jeep. It's amazing how things can go from great to awful in a few minutes.

The burn still hurts but I will live. I am glad I can laugh about it .

Put honey on the burn, and wrap it up... I gave myself a 2nd deg steam burn making up a pot of pasta yesterday, today.... no sign of a burn.

Quote Originally Posted by dnichols View Post
    Wow Ed. That was dumb! Sorry I said I wouldn't judge. Seriously though thanks for sharing. Thank God you still have your jeep. It's amazing how things can go from great to awful in a few minutes.

The burn still hurts but I will live. I am glad I can laugh about it .
    <chuckle>Yelp...that shoulda been a scene in "Dumb and Dumber". I actually sat in the jeep with the smoker between my feet for a good 15 minutes waiting for the rain to stop and not a wisp or hint of smoke...this was after being *unsuccessful* in getting it lit before the rain hit (it was a damp day and only needed to get into the bees for a few minutes). Other than being smoked out no damage to the jeep...thankfully. During the de-smoking period I almost wished it had lit the jeep up, though!!! I probably now have more respect for a smoker than 99.9% of the people out here, that's for sure! I try to share that respect with anyone I can.

So, has anyone ever shared with you the reason you don't place body parts against searing hot metal? Scene 23, maybe?

Be careful.
    Ed

Here's one for the same story.

Years ago I set my smoker aside and then heard a yelp. My curious strong headed younger son true to form got hold of it. If not for him knowing he shouldn't have fussed with it in the first place, we'd have endured his howl for the evening. Now near a decade later, he long forgot and no marks remain.

I extracted a few supers last monday. Ended up with a gallon sized ziplock bag full of cappings. The first error, I left the bag on the kitchen counter all night. We keep the house nice and cold. Tuesday I was going to drain the honey out of the bag and melt the cappings. I cut my usual slit in the corner of the bag and hung the bag to drain into a quart mason jar. Well after 30 mins, nothing had happened. The honey was too cold to flow. Well, I got the brilliant idea to hang the bag in the attic where it is HOT! So I moved the bag up there, put the jar underneath, and left to run some errands in town. Well.... apparently the bag had about a quart and a half of honey in it!!! When I got home, I skated down the hallway thru a puddle of honey. I cleaned up all I saw in the attic, and on the ceiling. For the last 4 days the hallway drips honey. Im glad I have a wife who loves me!

Scrapiron. I was laughing out loud on this one. Laughing with you not at you. Very funny. My wife loves me too. She puts up with some humdingers! :-)

Come on folks we need more dumb bee stories. Are you shy. We all have been there. Share your worst and make someone else feel better...
    Last edited by dnichols; 08-04-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Mis- spelling

Hmmm, where do I start?
    Backed into a semi w/ my trailer and bent back the bumper. $500.00
    Yesterday backed into a pallet of bees w/ my Bobcat destroying the deep super of one hive.
    Ran over a friends beehive while backing up my 1 ton truck.
    Ran over a cpl of smokers in my beekeeping life.

That's enuf for now.

Question. How do you burn the back of your palm? My palm is on the front of my hand.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Hmmm, where do I start?
    Backed into a semi w/ my trailer and bent back the bumper. $500.00
    Yesterday backed into a pallet of bees w/ my Bobcat destroying the deep super of one hive.
    Ran over a friends beehive while backing up my 1 ton truck.
    Ran over a cpl of smokers in my beekeeping life.

That's enuf for now.

Question. How do you burn the back of your palm? My palm is on the front of my hand.
    Holy cow!! ran over a hive. How bad. Were the bees mad...

thanks for opening up. :-)

Actually it was the outside of my palm. The line along the edge of pinky finger. Feeling better now.

Oh, I see.

Somewhat agitated, yes. Fortunately I had an empty deep, so I switched thm out right away. Losrt a frame of honey. Not too bad.
    Mark Berninghausen

Uh, Mark, I don't think he said anything about the back of his palm. Remedial rea...aw, never mind!

Ed

Man ya'll type fast!!!!!

Great stuff I am feeling better already. Keep em coming.

I've done a lot of stupid things while beekeeping. One that is still fresh on my mind from this spring involves a swarm capture mishap.

Late one evening this past spring I was moving a captured swarm to one of my yards. Upon arrival I spotted a swarm from one of my overwintered colonies in a small tree at about eye level. After setting up the original swarm I took an empty nuc and went after my swarm in the tree.

I had a full suit on and was not too concerned about getting stung so I was moving pretty fast to get this wrapped up before dark. I cradled the nuc under my left arm, lifted it up under the swarm, and with my right hand smacked the branch down to knock the bees into the box. For the first couple of seconds all was well. I got most of the 15,000 or so bees cleanly in the box.

After that things went downhill quickly. I took a step backward and tripped on a small stump, losing my balance. I did not fall down but during my recovery the box slipped out of my arm and all of the bees dumped out on my chest and I was covered in bees head to toe. Swarms are usually pretty docile. This particular swarm was not too happy about me shakin their tree in the evening, and they let me know it. Within seconds I felt dozens of them crawling up my leg inside the suit. I'm glad I was not out where anyone could see me. I must have looked like a bloomin idiot, stomping my feet, jumping up and down, shaking the suit. Once I got the bees off the outside of the suit I think I broke a world record for the fastest removal of a bee suit.

I got several stings out of it ... but it could have been a lot worse. I'm sure a video of my mishap would have been a real comedy act to watch.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    <snip>

I got several stings out of it ... but it could have been a lot worse. I'm sure a video of my mishap would have been a real comedy act to watch.
    Mental note to self... "Self, contact Senator about getting a new federal bee-law stipulating that all apiaries must have motion activated video cameras connected wirelessly to youtube....it could be sneaked in in the healthcare bill...royalties from possible movie rights could pay down the national debt in what, three years?"

Noted.

Ed

All videos must also be at double speed and have "Yakity Sax" for the soundtrack.

- the Benny Hill theory of comedy.

That's funny.

It may already be in the Health Care Bill ... we haven't finished reading it yet.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Uh, Mark, I don't think he said anything about the back of his palm. Remedial rea...aw, never mind!

Ed

Man ya'll type fast!!!!!
    Reread th OP, Swampie.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Reread th OP, Swampie.
    OP: "Needless to say I burned two fingers and the outside of my palm. My wife had no sympathy for me."

What am I missing here? Looks like he burned the outside of his palm...not the BACKside of it.

My meds must be wearing off.

Ed

well shoot. i guess i can't read. must be the heat. 90 something here today and muggy. i'm glad my swamp buddy is there to set me straight. where is sergey when we need him?

i wonder if our birdman has moved on to beemaster.com of beekeepingforums.com?
    Mark Berninghausen