Hybrid View

Default Who here prints their own honey jar labels?

I don't mean sending out for custom-made labels -- I've gone through the forums to see there's a lot of those -- what I mean is, are there folks around here that use something like Avery round (for lids) or shipping labels (for the sides) to print out super-small batches of labels for family/friends/specialties on their own personal printers?

I've been toying around with making some templates for a few locals that bottle up just a little bit of honey -- not enough to call it a business, but they'd still like to pretty up the jars a bit -- and I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone here does the same, so I could get an idea of what the better sizes are. I'm thinking the 2-inch rounds for lids (those could even be printed on white paper and cut out, instead of printed on special label paper), but I'm not sure about the side labels. Does anyone have a preference?

I'm thinking black and white versions and maybe a couple of colors, and a space for name, address, and weight -- what else do you think would be useful information?

And I don't know if they'd be useful to anyone here, but I'd be happy to put some of the simpler templates up here when I'm done, if anyone'd like.

Default Re: Who here prints their own honey jar labels?

I use Avery mailing labels. Some of my bees are on a small farm that has a small farm-market. I use the farm's logo, with some honey info, and my name. I customize the labels according to the season and exact site(s) that the honey was harvested from.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I bought the labels at walmart for 8 bucks. It comes with free software for your computer, which has a bunch of templates. I chose to design my own, and am very pleased.

The excellent Avery software I used to use became obsolete as I upgraded computers...isn't that the story of our life in this age we live in? The new Online Avery is not as good, but works. I have also looked at Maco, Online Labels and Vista Print which all offer similar services. Some have wateproof labels. I put town of origin on most of my jars.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    The excellent Avery software I used to use became obsolete as I upgraded computers...isn't that the story of our life in this age we live in?
    Ain't that the truth!

I was looking at the waterproof labels, but I think most of those are laser-printer only, and I think a couple of the folks that need labels only have the inkjets. I know when I was making canning labels, I could get the clear labels and cut those to fit over the top of normal paper, and that worked pretty well, I might suggest that. I'm trying to figure out what the best size(s) is, though, for any sort of jar.

Can I stick pictures up here? (Oh, technology). I'm playing around with something like this for the lids (mason jar canning lid size -- 2 inch round), and then matching for the sides, but with more space to add in lines for who/what/where/weight:

Lid.jpg

I would recommend that anyone considering printing their own quality honey jar label get a laser printer.

We use the ink jet, & put a clear label over the printed one. They do make waterproof labels for ink jet but I haven't tried them yet. If anyone has tried them I'd like to hear about it.
    When I update printers next time, I will buy a laser.
    Dan

Check out this site for waterproof inkjet labels: http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL162.htm

I currently use the Avery label templates that come with MS Word for my blacksmithing and photography business and soon for honey jar labels.

BTW, Avery glossy postcards that are 4-up on a letter sized sheet are great marketing tools.

Label layout is done in Photoshop CS5.
    A PSD file of the layout is created and saved with layers, and a jpeg is made from that PSD.
    The jpeg is then inserted into each cell of the label template in MS Word and the entire shebang is saved before printing.

Will probably purchase a good laser printer once the bees are able to pay for it.

I have recently been working with Online labels and highly recommend them. They sell a polyester laser label that is really waterproof. I put a printed label on a glass honey jar, filled the jar with water and put it in a pan of boiling water for 30 minutes. The label still looks like it did right off the printer. They have close to a hundred or more shapes and sizes available. They have their own software that is free to use and is flat out simple. They have an 800 number for help. They also send out free samples for you to try before you buy. Their shipping rates appear to be very reasonable. You should look into this. I think it makes a lot of sense.

That is a really informative recommendation, Beadtalker. I'll pass that information along!

It is simple to do your own labels, and I'd encourage anyone thinking about it to do it. You can size your labels to your jar, by varying the size/shape of the label you buy. And you can change the weight on your label to meet the size of the jar, without buying a lot of labels.
    REgards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow