Default A bear got some of our hives

A bear got into one of our yards and helped himself to 3 hives. We lost about 200 lbs (5 medium supers and 2 deeps) of honey and three strong hives. Oh well, we're beekeepers. The Game & Fish Dept is setting a bear trap there, and will be sitting out with dart guns later this evening/night. I was there at this apiary at around 7:30 yesterday evening, and noticed the original damage. My boss's wife stayed the night there (awake and watching) to see if it would come again, and she scared it off 3 times during the night (car horn and lights). It's a small black bear, and the G&F warden said it is the first bear seen in the area for at least since 2005.

IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg

Default Re: A bear got some of our hives

Sorry to hear! I just had a three-hive kill too... heartbreaker. Now one's prowling the area I relocated to so need a friend to help move the girls back inside their (repaired) fence!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

A sad event. What are your bees feeding on? It looks like a bee desert with those bare fields.

Rob

Good luck with the bear. Stick with trying to get it out of the area. They never forget a food source.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

All our hives are on irrigated alfalfa, and some have sunflower fields beside them also.

UPDATE:
    The bear was trapped successfully last night. It was a 100-lb young male black bear. The G&F Dept will relocate it 100 miles north of us, up by Wheatland, WY. We will harvest the rest of the honey from that yard (estimated 600-800 lbs) at the beginning of next week.

I talked to a large beekeeper (6000 hives) north of us, and he has had four large grizzly bears this summer alone.