Default First year synopsis

Hive one Ė Started from a package May 5th. The queen was released but never laid eggs. I think she may have died, so I requeened that hive. That queen did ok, got a couple frames of brood. During one inspection I noticed there were about 5 superseding cells. So I guess they kicked her out. The new queen that immerged I guess never mated properly and was laying only drone eggs .
    Anyway I inspected that hive last week and its basically none existed. Just a handful of bees. Very tough.

Hive two Ė Started from a package. That hive is still humming along, kinda. I donít have a good laying queen because of the amount of egg\larva\capped brood I see. Out of ten frames only 3 are being utilized. If I have more than 1000 bees in there Iím lucky. I did replace some of the frames with drawn out comb frames from the first hive hoping it would stimulate the queen (wishful thinking.) Itís getting late in the season and I am not expecting much for the winter.
    Anyway, it was a great learning experience and I feel more confident in what Iím doing. Next year I will try Nucs and possibly 3 hives instead oftwo.My reaction time may be a little faster too. From what success/failure Iíve had, Iíve truly enjoyed the whole experience. Looking forward to next year!
    ExcellentWebsite. Whoever is running it is doing a great job.
    Rob
    Just felt like telling someone

Default Re: First year synopsis

Sounds like a year of learning, and that is what it takes to be come successful at anything. Think about all the ones that have shared it all with us, A.I. Root, C.C. Miller, Demuth, and many more. Everything that they and others have learned, discovered, and all the conrtibutors here is exactly what is saving the honey bee.
    Next year will be a great one I am sure of it. But this year hasn't been a loss, just adjustment period.

Hey Rob,

I am from Litchfield. Greetings! Packages have been weird this year. The ones I purchased had a few issues too. If you don't mind me asking where did you purchase the packages from?

D-

Make sure to store and protect the comb properly so you have it next spring!

J -
    I was planning on just leaving them in the deeps and storing them in a shed with no inner or outter cover.
    By reading your post, I now assume there is a procedure. I know in the dead hive there is some capped brood in there (very small amount.) I thought next year the bees may just clean that out, no?
    There is no or very little honey in there.

You need to protect it from the dreaded wax moth. Either freeze it and bag it or use mothballs (not naphtha).

My garage is freezing all winter long. No worries about wax month in the winter months!

I would combine the two hives. Even if just a handful of bees it will help the other hive somewhat.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Total newbee. Installed 2 packages in 2 hives 4/4/12. 1 hive swarmed 7/6,(so much for new packages don't swarm.) Mother hive raised new queen. Second hive has 3 supers. Extracted about 20 lbs last week. Did full inspection this Wed (8/8) All 3 hives had lots of stores and many frames of eggs and brood. Talk about beginner's luck. I will feed if necessary and do a little dance each week so the bee gods keep them over the winter.

Hawkster is dead on. Your new bees will clean everything out next year. Just a quick anecdote...

I brought two frames of honey in the house to save for a planned split when I had time to do it. A few days later I looked at the frames to find a few drones had hatched out, and so did a few moth larva. I moved my split plans up quickly after I killed the moth larva!