Hive one Ė Started from a package May 5th. The queen was released but never laid eggs. I think she may have died, so I requeened that hive. That queen did ok, got a couple frames of brood. During one inspection I noticed there were about 5 superseding cells. So I guess they kicked her out. The new queen that immerged I guess never mated properly and was laying only drone eggs .
Anyway I inspected that hive last week and its basically none existed. Just a handful of bees. Very tough.
Hive two Ė Started from a package. That hive is still humming along, kinda. I donít have a good laying queen because of the amount of egg\larva\capped brood I see. Out of ten frames only 3 are being utilized. If I have more than 1000 bees in there Iím lucky. I did replace some of the frames with drawn out comb frames from the first hive hoping it would stimulate the queen (wishful thinking.) Itís getting late in the season and I am not expecting much for the winter.
Anyway, it was a great learning experience and I feel more confident in what Iím doing. Next year I will try Nucs and possibly 3 hives instead oftwo.My reaction time may be a little faster too. From what success/failure Iíve had, Iíve truly enjoyed the whole experience. Looking forward to next year!
ExcellentWebsite. Whoever is running it is doing a great job.
Just felt like telling someone