Default Looking for stand alone hive tracking software recommendations

Hey guys,

I am looking for a stand alone hive tracking software. I've tried Hive Tracks and don't care for it too much. I mean it has it's place and I am sure many of you love it but I would rather have a stand alone and not have to worry about logging in. If there is nothing then maybe I will build a database or spreadsheet. If you guys want to share what you use that would be great. Maybe I will just go old school with paper and pencil.

Default Re: Looking for stand alone hive tracking software recommendations

"Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

HiveTasks, from Beesource member Jeanette:

http://www.hivetasks.com.au/index.php
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks Radar.

I could design one in Access if there was interest. People would just need to let me know what are the main features they're wanting. I would even be willing to run a weekly update for inputs if there's enough interest. I'm sure some of the basic functions are hive creation, queen age/date/origin, # of boxes, split dates, treatment dates, feed dates, location, harvest dates, anything else??

What's needed the next time you go to the bee yard.
    Dan

what I mentioned above mostly except I'm not commercial or a queen breeder so maybe they'd like to add something.

I would like a bulk update to what yard they are moving too kind of thing. I move 40 hives at a time from location to location and using bee tight is killing me Because of all the time it takes to move locations.

One of my neighbors uses a piece of duct tape on the innercover, it is surprising how much information you can record on 16" of duct tape. The bees didn't seem to be bothered by the duct tape or the magic marker smell.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    I could design one in Access if there was interest. People would just need to let me know what are the main features they're wanting. I would even be willing to run a weekly update for inputs if there's enough interest. I'm sure some of the basic functions are hive creation, queen age/date/origin, # of boxes, split dates, treatment dates, feed dates, location, harvest dates, anything else??
    I'd bee happy to use your software if it's free, (only one hiv, now splitting) and I would like a standalone program, not a web based one.

I better get to it I guess. Nothing is free 100. I could spend hundreds of hours on it. The last one I did I only charged $1800 for it, but that was for a multi site license for a cable contractor. Something like this though I wouldn't expect much. $5 or something. With all the business accounting talk, I could probably add in sales and inventory tracking as well. You would have to barcode bottles though but that's easy enough. Scanners are pretty cheap these days, but you could even barcode boxes and frames for easy input as well and have total tracking of where all your equipment has been.

Interesting discusstion. learned

Quote Originally Posted by dnichols View Post
    Hey guys,

I am looking for a stand alone hive tracking software. I've tried Hive Tracks and don't care for it too much. I mean it has it's place and I am sure many of you love it but I would rather have a stand alone and not have to worry about logging in. If there is nothing then maybe I will build a database or spreadsheet. If you guys want to share what you use that would be great. Maybe I will just go old school with paper and pencil.
    Which is what I was going to suggest. Notepad and pen. Just because we have a tool doesn't mean we need to find uses for it for things which can be done as well and perhaps easier by other tools. That's the thing about new technology. You bought it and want to use it for everything possible, yet not necassarily suitable.

My 2 cents.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Lumber crayons are cheap, Write on the roof in a shorthand. Or are you looking for hive info? That is kept in a notebook.

Crazy Roland

I'm wrapping up my work obligations for the latest DB. Over xmas break I will start working on one to see if it meets with everyone's approval. I can work in barcoding labels as well going back to the UPC discussion. I will start a separate thread as things develop to gather input.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Lumber crayons are cheap, Write on the roof in a shorthand. Or are you looking for hive info? That is kept in a notebook.

Crazy Roland
    What a good idea!! Thanks!

I have been using felt pens on the lid and most are now really poor quality since the Xylene (spelling) was banned.