Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Commercials Using Apigaurd

Received this reply when apiguard first came out concerning the use at temps above 95 F

To: "'Daniel Dempsey'" <zzu@tco.net>
    Subject: RE: Apiguard

Dear Mr Dempsey,

The 2 x 50g treatment is good for a single brood or for a double brood. If you use more than two brood boxes then a further dose is often needed. The 25g treatment is useful for treating small colonies (nucs or small wintering colonies). At daytime temperatures, as you report of 103F I would try 2 x 25g or maybe 3 x 25g (See the attached list of FAQs and answers on Apiguard).

No need to restrict the entrance but make sure the bees have enough space to actually get at the gel. Best way we have found is to put an empty super on top of the brood box(es).

Let me know how you get on.

All the best,

Max

Dr Max Watkins
    Director
    Vita (Europe) Limited
    21/23 Wote Street
    Basingstoke
    Hampshire RG21 7NE
    UK

Tel.: +44 (0)1256 473 177
    Fax: +44 (0)1256 473 179

e-mail: max.watkins@vita-europe.com
    web: http://www.vita-europe.com

APIGUARD FAQs - 2006 revision2 (2).doc
    Dan

just buy thymol crystals and put 8 grams in a honey jar lid and leave some head space with a rim board and it has the same results as apiguard but way cheaper.

buy it here

http://www.wintersunchem.com/bee-keeper

The application rate for Apiguard is two applications 14 days apart of what amounts to 12.5 gm of Thymol per dose or 25 gm over all.

this approach uses simple crystals and a dish under the cover.

http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.org.u...aTreatment.htm

the author, Peter Edwards is a well respected beekeeper in England and president of a major beekeeper association where he promotes this as the primary varroa treatment and has been used for over 15 years there

Thanks for the info Bud. However, do you use the crystals and if so what's your take on them?

Larry
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Yes we have excellent control on 500 hives, 2nd year running. Feed light amount dissolved in alcohol in syrup in spring and maybe fall also controls mites.

Thanks Bud,
    But I'm confused (it's my nature).....First you say, buy the crystals and put 8 grams in a jar lid & place on the hive. Then you state "Feed light amount dissolved in alcohol in syrup in spring and maybe fall also controls mites."

Would you spell it out a little better for me?

Thanks.....

Larry

http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

So what is the availability of Apigaurd like now?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I got an email from Vita saying that Customs had fast tracked the container to Mann Lake so supply should be fine now once back orders are filled.

My three week old backorder for apiguard arrived last week...from Dadant
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I apologize. I meant to say that Vita stated that Dadant is the company that their shipment was fast tracked to in my previous post. I don't even think Mann Lake carries Apiguard.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Dingler View Post
    just buy thymol crystals and put 8 grams in a honey jar lid and leave some head space with a rim board and it has the same results as apiguard but way cheaper.

buy it here

http://www.wintersunchem.com/bee-keeper

The application rate for Apiguard is two applications 14 days apart of what amounts to 12.5 gm of Thymol per dose or 25 gm over all.

this approach uses simple crystals and a dish under the cover.

http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.org.u...aTreatment.htm

the author, Peter Edwards is a well respected beekeeper in England and president of a major beekeeper association where he promotes this as the primary varroa treatment and has been used for over 15 years there
    So based on the reading of the article and the pricing of the thymol crystals is only a 55% savings over using Apiguard on the size of your operation. Do you follow the 4 week treatment plan?

yes its the same idea as apiguard and other miticides you repeat the procedure after 2 weeks to kill mites that hatched out in the meanwhile.

we use crystals and also give one feeding of thymol in syrup.

you can dissolve thymol in alcohol and feed 6.4 grams/thymol per colony in syrup. usda bee lab in baton rougue did a study and showed the thymol is present in low doses in late larva stages. studies are lacking that show this method actually kills mites but i can say we have had very good wintering on colonies fed thymol and overall good mite control.

Have you ever had any issues with Thymol coming thru in the honey?

We are just starting our second round of apiguard treatment (we were advised to do 3 25g treatments). Seems to be doing the trick have several sticky boards placed randomly around in different yards. Bees seem to like the stuff better the second go round they move right to the card and start climbing around on it. As for labor my hired man and myself can treat 15 locations per day, today we did 17 but didn't have much driving distance. I know of 2 other commercial beekeepers in my area also using apiguard now too

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123