Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Commercials Using Apigaurd

In my case I have around 400 some hives and I usually put a mite treatment on as I pull the last supers and then not again until Spring, just before apple pollination. Now that I have MAQS on some those will probably not get another treatment until they get down to SC. Whereas the rest will get treated w/ Apigaurd soon and then either before they go South or soon after getting down there, I imagine.

I don't usually go into the brood nest regularly once the hives have been set up so as not to swarm.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I don't usually go into the brood nest regularly once the hives have been set up so as not to swarm.
    Are you of the opinion that going into the brood nest incites an increased level of swarming?
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

I'm of the opinion that going into the brood nest unnecassarily tends to promote queenlessness. I figure that when things are as they should be I don't need to fix what isn't broken.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Thanks for not being harsh when non commercials post here!

Can anyone tell me about the need for a rim or resecssed lid. I run mostly singles and my lids have a 1/8" lip. How can I avoid using a rim or extra super?

Thanks

For what, MAQS? Or Apigaurd? I set supers above the MAQS I put on today. I'm going to be busy extracting for a while and don't want to miss any honey coming in, so I don't see the point of only applying the MAQS.

I guess the point of rims, as far as treatments are concerned, is to allow air flow all around the pad, rather than compressing it down.

Rims in the cover help give some space for pollen pattys to lay on the top bars so bees can get all around them.

I believe some use rims for the Apiguard.... I just squash the maqs between supers. Wonder if you really have to use rims for apiguard?
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

I meant rims when applying Apiguard. It seems that it is recomended to either placed inbetween two brood boxes or on top bars under lid with a rim for space. I have mostly single brood boxes but my lids do have a 1/8" lip and I would buy the bulk stuff to place on cards.
    Can you use it on the bottom board?

Probably makes a gas that is heavier than air and drifts down thru the hive.

Thinking of using apiguard instead of maqs this go around. Most of my hives are deeps with 2 mediums with an 8th in rim on the lid. So I should be able to place them on the top and cover with the lid?? I'll use the standard card to place the 50 gr scoop onto. But I'm not real crazy about having to go around twice.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

I have tried putting Apiguard directly under a flat lid and didn't have much success as they will usually just propolize the stuff up against the lid. I would be afraid only an 1/8" recess might not be enough evaporative room, but that is just a guess. Between boxes has worked quite well though. I see that is also what Randy Oliver recommends.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

the other problem with putting them directly on the top without an air space is if you get an early hot day all of the apiguard will evaporate at once and not last the seven days its designed to do.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    Can anyone tell me about the need for a rim or resecssed lid.
    Apiguard comes in several different packages. The basic is a predosed tin. If you are using that, you need some means to make sure that the bees can get into the tin to remove the stuff…this is the contact part of its operation. If you place it between supers or above the top box, you need a shim to allow the bees access.
    If you use it from a bulk tub, placing the dose on a delivery card you do not need a shim. But, as Jim pointed out, if you place it on the top of the hive, the bees will likely glue it and the frames to the cover.
    I believe they are now selling a third delivery method. It is a half dose sachet. Probably don’t need a shim if placed between supers. Surely the priciest of the methods.
    If my memory serves me, I believe you should place the dose directly above the brood frames. It makes sense, as this is where you will find the heaviest population of mites.
    Happy mite hunting to all.
    Last edited by beemandan; 08-12-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Whereas the rest will get treated w/ Apigaurd soon and then either before they go South or soon after getting down there, I imagine.
    I don't know how long you go between 'soon' and the move south but if it is more than a few weeks, you may find Apiguard disappointing.
    Good luck.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I understand.

I use Apigaurd in Dec. I treat half a scoop twice about 10 days apart. My lids have 5/8 rims on them ,I used to use flat lids , I dont think you get as good of a kill though I think it needs the room to kinda air out. The first dose will mess the bees up for a few days so they will look bad ,It will also weed out any week hives, anybody thats on there way down will get finished off. They dont mind the 2nd treatment as much though . I think It works great, Ive used it since it first came out and recommend it.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Good thread here--I am not a commercial beekeeper by any means but I have used the product--one thing I didn't see posted here is that you should not use it at cooler temps --I think the manufacturer warns not below 60 degrees because the gel is supposed to sublime into a vapour and that is what kills the mites. If you use it in late fall (like I did....) the gel just crystallizes and gets hard as a rock and does nothing.
    Any more input from anybody about no shims--Randy Olivers site says he puts the treatment between the two supers and while it doesn't say the photos look like he just sticks it in on a regular index card -- I cant see making up all kinds of shims!

Finally a beekeeper near me makes his own thymol patties but I have no Idea of the costs involved or where to get the thymol anyone ever try this??

Quote Originally Posted by xcugat View Post
    Finally a beekeeper near me makes his own thymol patties but I have no Idea of the costs involved or where to get the thymol anyone ever try this??
    This is what I've seen most too, they just make up their own thymol patties.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

ok, so whats the recipe

I have made thymol patties and have never had as good of a mite kill
    as with apigaurd I have matched the initial knock down but not the
    sustained kill. And yes it is hard getting back in 14 days but it pays

I have use apiguard on hobby side for a couple of years now as my only treatments for mites. This year I plan to do a follow up with OA dribble in November based upon readings of Randy Olivers's articles.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast