Hybrid View

Default Commercials Using Apigaurd

Is anyone using Apigaurd? I saw it in use for the first time yesterday. How many of you are using it? How do you like it? Cost effectiveness evaluation?

Thanks.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Default Re: Commercials Using Apigaurd

It's a good product. Works real well between boxes in a double, if you put it on top bars you want to use a rim or recessed lid as there is a tendency to propolize it against the lid. It's a pretty good jolt to the bees and will kill some pupae but they recover pretty quickly. I would stay away from using it if temps over about 90 are expected.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

What happens to it? Does it volitalize and evaporate? Jim, do you use the white pads that come w/ the tubs?

I have heard that the tolerence is getting much higher in the mites. Anyone seeing this, I am a Formic user but like to switch things up on them buggers.

I nearly didnít reply, as you specified commercial and Iím not sure I qualify.
    I have used Apiguard on a couple of hundred hives. It works pretty well. If temps are over 90, reduce the dose. The manufacturerís website says to do this, the US distributor (Dadant) fails to mention it. It is disruptive to the colony. Iíve seen some brood loss, temporary shutdown of brood production and occasional supercedures. These are at higher temps than you may have. I would expect some absconds if you used a full dose at high temps. I use the application cards supplied by Dadant. I tried some 4x6 index cards from an office supply but they absorb much of the fluid. The Dadant cards are coated, so they donít seem to.
    According to the manufacturer, the product works both by contact and as a fumigant. They say to close off screened bottoms.
    Price effective? I guess as much as any of the thymol products. Two applications.
    I just got a couple of tubs this week. I will be using Apiguard and Hopguard this year. Hopguard is clearly more costly but Iím thinking to try it all the same.
    Good luck.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

here is the method I use, works well, I do in the spring and fall and haven't had any problems, I especially use it when the temps are to high for formic acid.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/the-...ral-miticides/
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I nearly didn’t reply, as you specified commercial and I’m not sure I qualify.
    I have used Apiguard on a couple of hundred hives. Good luck.
    That's why I Posted this Thread in the Commercial Section. So it might get answered by other commercial beekeepers. But, don't worry, I am glad to have your input. This Forum isn't restricted as far as I know. Not like other Forums.

I got an email from Vita saying that Customs had fast tracked the container to Mann Lake so supply should be fine now once back orders are filled.

My three week old backorder for apiguard arrived last week...from Dadant
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I apologize. I meant to say that Vita stated that Dadant is the company that their shipment was fast tracked to in my previous post. I don't even think Mann Lake carries Apiguard.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A