Default Removing bees from honey supers?

I am getting ready to remove bees from some honey supers. About 7 or 8 in total and I have one bee escape board I got from Brushy Mountain. I read on Michael Bush's website that he said he liked to put one of these on a bottom board and place all the supers on top of that. Anybody else try that and how did it work? I wonder how the bees would react to each other as they are leaving the supers. If it has worked for others I am thinking about trying that since I have only one escape board. Any other advice for a second year beekeeper would be appreciated.

Default Re: Removing bees from honey supers?

If there is a flow on in your area, tip them up midday and come back in an hour and most of the bees will have left. This only works if there is a flow on. Then you can stack then on a bee escape or blow the remaining bees out with a blower.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I had read that on Bush's site as well. For some reason I thought this would for sure cause a frenzy. They do seem really busy and are filling up supers quickly so I guess that constitutes a flow. I may have to give that a try. I see we are in the same zone, though you are in Canada and I am in Michigan. How are the bees up there for you?

for just a few supers just start with an empty super and bee brush. shake and brush the bees off and transfer to the empty super and keep the process going until done. should take less than an hour. If you break the supers apart the day before they will clean up any dripping honey and saves a lot of mess.

good info beeware10

I might go that route beware10. I will have about 7 supers and might have a day on Saturday to give it a couple of hours if need be.

It worked great for me. I made one of those triangular escapes, put it on a bottom board (escape pointing down of course), then a medium super, then an inner cover with the hole blocked (or another escape pointing up). Then I took frames of honey from several hives, gave them a few shakes (no brushing, that annoys them), then put the frames with their remaining bees into the super, keeping it closed so robbing doesn't get going. 24 hrs later it was almost entirely empty and no sign of dead bees or fighting. With this method the bees never really seemed to get upset.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbyers View Post
    I had read that on Bush's site as well. For some reason I thought this would for sure cause a frenzy. They do seem really busy and are filling up supers quickly so I guess that constitutes a flow. I may have to give that a try. I see we are in the same zone, though you are in Canada and I am in Michigan. How are the bees up there for you?
    The fall flow is starting here, but flows can be intermittent. Watch the bees, if they are interested in spilled honey or sniffing around the backs of hives, there isn't a flow on. If they ignore spilled honey and if you shake a frame and nectar comes out, there likely is flow on. You can always do what beeware10 recommends after most of the bees have left - bees don't like to be brushed much.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I was going to suggest the same as beeware10 If the supers are still on the hives you can shake the bee right back in the home or at least at the front door. If not you can shake them into a box with frames and use these bee's to beef up a weak colony