Default Dadant Deep 10 5/8" foundation available short time

Just happened to be talking with Arlyn at the main office in Hamilton this morning.

Remembered some of you were talking about the old square 12 frame Dadant Deep hive boxes etc

Well they haven't had any woodenware for years and years, but they still carry the 10 5/8" Dura-Gilt foundation that fits the 11 1/4" frame for the 11 5/8" deep boxes.

But, occasionally they run the crimp-wired wax foundation, maybe once a year, and sometime next week is it for this year. Most likely not again until around this time next year.

So if anyone wants some get your order in quick.

The kicker is 25lb minimum. That figures out to 5 sheets per lb for 125 sheets total minimum order.

About $173.00 Plus tax, plus shipping.

This is the verticle crimp wire with the hook at the top. That's alot of frame area so best to secure it well with cross wires also.

I'm about an hour from them and run down there frequently to pick-up stuff rather than have it shipped to me. Other things to do in between.

So I was considering offering to split up an order, repackage and ship, if enough people are interested.

Less than 25lbs needs to be stiffened with plywood or masonite so it won't flex too much and other extra packing, or small items to fill one of those USPS flat-rate boxes.

Unless you're close, I doubt there is enough time to get them your own wax to use, but they do a pretty good job of cleaning and save the cappings wax they get for foundation production.

I'm building my own equipment, frames now too since they don't produce them anymore.
    I've been going foundationless, but having wires in this deep of frame with this heat we've been having may be a better idea.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Push, Pull, or get Out of the Way

Default Re: Dadant Deep 10 5/8" foundation available short time

I'm possibly interested in 10 sheets, preferably of Duragilt. I have a foundationless jumbo deep hive body (unused) here that I would rather use foundation with becuase of how heavy the combs will be; I'm concerned that it might be prone to breaking off of the top bar with a foundationless comb. Please keep me posted.

I ran out of 10 5/8 on the last 11 1/4" frames I made so I stacked and embedded two different sizes of foundations for medium frames that I had on hand dating back to earlier than the use of miticides in hives. So I achieved several solutions. I used up old stored foundation. I made no cash outlay so I had more taco money. I got combs with no miticide residue. They used to sell it with no hooks which I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    I'm possibly interested in 10 sheets, preferably of Duragilt. I'm concerned that it might be prone to breaking off of the top bar with a foundationless comb. Please keep me posted.
    I wasn't very interested in the Duragilt, so didn't ask alot of questions about it. I'm not sure if the 25lb minimum applies to it also, nor what the count per pound would be.

It most likey is 25, thinking back on it, because he quoted a price for it at nearly $9 more than the crimp-wired wax.

And they are both 'regular size cells'.

The dies for the 4.9 foundation isn't wide enough for the Jumbo depth.

I think the Duragilt would need to be cross-wired also, maybe just 2, possibly 3 across the middle to keep it from sagging.

If enough people join in we can split boxes of Duragilt as well, maybe do a combination.

The real concern right now is the limited production time of the crimp-wired wax foundation.
    If we got our orders together this weekend and I called it in Monday they would make enough to fill my order and whatever they need for short term inventory.

I may just go on down anyway and have them use my wax for mine, I can save a bunch of money, even with the extra trip.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I made no cash outlay so I had more taco money... with no miticide residue. They used to sell it with no hooks which I prefer.
    Tacos are good especially without residue.
    I like those 'walking tacos' at auctions.

I have a pair of side-cutters, I can snip those hooks for you. Or maybe even if I can talk them into 'demonstrating' the process for me I'll get them to do a few sheets without the hooks.
    How many would you like?

Hey WPG I would like to get in on the action. If I could get 24 to try out that would be awesome. I build my own equipment and was thinking about giving this a try next year. I will get more if not many buy in.

Thanks,

D-

I was wrong about them making foundation for me out of my own wax.

They did it for my dad years ago, but no more.

But they do buy all wax and will give you a bonus for equal poundage if buying foundation at same time.

I don't remember if it had to be cappings wax or if they gave extra if it was.

Westbee and dnic - I didn't get enough interest and I didn't want that much so didn't get any back then.

I may try to work it into the schedule this year.

With longer notice may get it done.

Come on spring!
    It is warming some, only -10 F last night.