Hybrid View

Question Queen has stopped laying

I just returned from a 21 day vacation. I have an active hive in Missouri. Hive was last inspected on 7/17. Didn't observe the queen at that time but had lots of capped brood, capped honey, and some uncapped larva. I had been feeding 1:1 sugar water due to drought and lack of available pollen.

I inspected the hive this morning. Observed the queen; didn't observe her laying. There is very little capped brood and didn't see any eggs or larva. Observed 1 hatching cell. It has been over 100 degrees for weeks and in a severe drought.

Would the queen quit laying due to drought and heat? Do I need to replace the queen? I have resumed feeding 1:1 sugar water.

Default Re: Queen has stopped laying

Quote Originally Posted by jrshay View Post
    Would the queen quit laying due to drought and heat?
    An expert I am not,

It is typical for our local bees to shut down during our summer dearth. Since you are experiencing a drought, I would assume you are in a dearth as well.

Shane

Here is good ol Virginny, has been hot and dry, I have one hive that has been struggling, and replaced queen with Carniolan x Italian hybrid, and I have noticed from time to time only a few capped cells, and was wondering at times if the colony had a queen. Yesterday I found larvae and capped brood, not many but there. Either they replaced the queen or the new queen just stopped laying (What I believe to be) and only a few, just to keep her laying ability. Good evolutionary trait in my opinion. So I would think as soon as the colony thinks it has good enough stores and the resources are adequate the queen will pick up the pace as to ready for winter. The Carniolan Queens seem to adjust for such conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by G'ville beek View Post
    Here is good ol Virginny, has been hot and dry
    We are several hours west of you, about five I think, and it has rained about 55 of the last 60 days.

Shane

Wow, we have been getting a few evening showers off and on a week back or so, but still very dry, last few days been some cooler, you are near the mountains I think. Send us some of the rain if we stay dry.
    The Italian Hive has not really slowed any, but the one I re-queened had pretty much shut down. Seems this year has been unusually unpredictable, and out of the norm in ways of the flows and ebbs.

Quote Originally Posted by G'ville beek View Post
    Send us some of the rain if we stay dry.
    Two more straight days of rain! Our coveted sourwood flow was a washout! Hope we have some dry weather, maybe the goldenrod and aster blooms will pull through. We are having to feed some of our new hives.

Shane