Thread: Heat issues

Default Heat issues

It's really hot in the Great Plains. It's been 105+ for several weeks with no end in sight. I've lost 2 topbar hives to comb collapse but so far, my waare hive seems to be holding on. I'm wondering if taking the quilt off the top would be a good idea to get a little more air flow going. Thoughts?

Default Re: Heat issues

Given that it's already held up under those conditions for several weeks, I'd be inclined to leave it alone.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Given that it's already held up under those conditions for several weeks, I'd be inclined to leave it alone.
    +1 on that!
    Ralph Waldo Emerson "To map out a course of action and follow it to the end requires courage". John 3;17

Mainly they need access to water and an opening big enough to allow the increase in bee traffic and air movement. If they have those, using evaporative cooling, they can lower the nest temperature under severe conditions.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

If the bees are bearding a lot you could prop up the quilt with something instead of removing it.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

I threw an upside down entrance on the top of one hive that was breading like crazy. They stopped breading and really seem to like the top entrance. Dont have the heart to take it away from them.