Default very weak hive with chockbrood question

I'm a second year beek with 7 hives, One hive that was very strong first year has weakend down the past two months from a failing queen not caught in time (my bad) and stressed from mite load and chockbrood. I tried introducing a queen several weeks ago that did not take. Hive is on three medium's with only enough bees for 3 frames and are all old bee's and no queen. I'm not sure what to do as it's so weak, has pretty bad chockbrood and now some wax moth. I'm afraid to combine the hive because I don't want to spread the chockbrood. Looking for suggestions for ideas on what I can do with hive, chockbrood and old frames with probable chockbrood spores. Not sure if I need to cull all combs or if they can be reused?? thank you for your thoughts....bouks

Default Re: very weak hive with chockbrood question

Immediately shake the bees out, destroy the bad combs, freeze the rest and start over next year.

Ditto Adam's response. The hive is done for from the information you've given. You might want to hit them with powdered sugar before the shake out though. If they are as heavy with mites as you indicate, whatever hive(s) they head to will get an influx of varroa. The powdered sugar will minimize the mite transfer.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Last edited by Acebird; 08-08-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I had an issue with chalkbrood this year in one of my hives. Most of what I read is that it will resolve itself in a couple ways.

1) increase ventilation, chalkbrood thrives on moist conditions.
    2) put hive in sunnier area, chalkbrood likes it in the shadows.
    3) requeen, sometimes this helps.

I was going to burn the old comb but a friend of mine said to try 1 (add SBB) and 2 (move to sun). I did and within a couple weeks no more mummies on the porch and they are doing well and making honey!

The colony was weakened but it sounds like yours is even weaker, with that and the combination of the wax moths you have to do something soon. I would go through the combs and look for the combs that might have chalkbrood mummies still in frames. Get rid of those. Add SBB if you don't have one. Move to sunnier locale if it isn't already, clean out the wax moth damage and requeen with a mated queen if you can.

After a few weeks if things are not looking up you can still shake out bees and start over next year. It all depends on motivation. I think it's worth a try to save. Just my two cents which is not probably worth much.

Good luck!

D-