Default brushy mountains' plastic top feeder

Has anyone here used Brushy mountains plastic hive top feeder (the one that is on sale now), and would you recommend it or not?

Default Re: brushy mountains' plastic top feeder

I like it. No drowned bees. Only complaint is that its tough to move when full as it tends to flex.

I really like them..they work great. Just don't place them in the dishwasher with the drying cycle on as it tends to burn holes in them

Thanks, I think I'll give one a try

I like mine, and they're super easy to clean. I roll out my long hose and wash 'em down before refilling. My only complaint is that when crystallization occurs you'll end up with crystals inside the entrance gates. Watch so that it doesn't get too bad or the bees won't have access to the syrup. The trays also require a level hive, for sure, or you won't be able to get the full 2-gallons into 'em. I've been wondering if those plastic entrance gates pop off or not so you can clean them (been afraid to try). Anybody know if you can do this without breaking 'em?f

Now that i'm thinking about it, I believe i have a solution to the 'hard to move when full' problem. I'm going to get a budget shallow and screw the feeder into the bottom of it. It would then have handles, could be removed to clean, and won't warp when full and off the hive.

I like the one I have like that.

I found that it works best with a box around it, and then no inner cover on top of that box, just the lid (that keeps bees out of the top that will end up drowned).
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

The one that I have is not flexible but very sturdy and as I recall they were rather pricey. They work great and can adjust for either sugar water or patties. I use them only for sugar water.