Default Discovered an easier feeding method

This may not be new to some or even most of you, but yesterday I went out and bought some sugar to start feeding my hive I split back in June. While I was at the store I ran across a gallon sized cookie jar with a mason type lid. It's square and just small enough to fit into my hive.

This isn't exactly it but it is almost identical to the one I bought.
    cookiejar.jpg

This will make it a lot easier on me now that I can put a whole gallon in at once rather than a quart at a time. Just thought I would share.

FYI, if you are thinking about getting a jar this sized I would first make certain how deep your hive is. The jar I bought just barely fits inside of my hive. If it were any more shallow the jar would have been too tall.

Default Re: Discovered an easier feeding method

by the way, I do put the jar inside of the hive upside down with small holes poked in the lid. I didn't mention that in my original post but figured I might as well throw that in there.

Default Re: Discovered an easier feeding method

I just put the jar in my hive upright. I put some sprigs of spearmint in there for access. works good, I just take a bar out and pour in a refill. The bees don't mind the spills either.