Thread: Smart Guards

Default Smart Guards

An observation, when I go out to the hive with my vale and garb on I can walk up or do anything around the hive without being chased by the guards, but when I get close to the hive without any protection, they come after me and circled me to warn me to get back. Doesn't make any difference what color of clothing I wear, they still warn me if I'm not suited up!

Find this interesting!

Default Re: Smart Guards

Very interesting. Mine do not care. I have only fully suited up twice. I generally go out daily, approach from the side, then lift the telescoping cover to check the level of syrup in my feeder, plus a general look at the bees there. I then can crouch down on the side to get a close look at what the ladies are bringing back, plus a closer look for mites (none seen yet). I have only been chased twice since 2 June when I got my first NUC of bees. I also have a chair 10' from the hive that I sit in to watch general activity and have only been buzzed once.
    What kind of bees do you have? Mine are B Weaver "Italian".
    Last edited by mmmooretx; 08-07-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

They smell your fear.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    They smell your fear.
    I think it is true! When people fear, they normally sweat. Lie detector based on this. Bees hated sweat in most cases. Sometime, when they need some elements - they may express interest to your sweat as a source of minerals. They would try to land on you to get some salt. It may be misinterpret as an attack. My bees do recognize me. When inspection is annoying and long (due my inexperience), they sent a few bees to patrol my backdoor. Sort of a message. I have a large screened window next to the door and bees could see me. They ignored my wife, but very "interested" in me - they would make a noise and zig-zag in front of my face when I am at the window (and window is opened,only screen). When window is closed, bees are somewhere else. Initially, this patrolling was my concern since I have a neighbors. But it looks like, they are very specific in their intentions. Thanks God, it is much less "patrolling" now - I could have my morning tea in the backyard in peace. Of coarse, when I stand at the window, I do not wear my beesuit. It looks like, they do recognize the smell. Sergey

Sergey,
    I have to chuckle over the sweat item. In Houston I work the hive in 95 F heat with 90% humidity and am very wet with sweat dripping on my glasses. I generally work in a short sleeve t-shirt veil and vinyl gloves and rarely get stung, usually my stupidity. So it is not sweat, but there could be a fear pheromone. Also, interestingly I rarely get one that lands to lick the sweat for salt.
    BTW I used to work near you where live. Right where 90 ends at Teledyne, West LA one side Marina del Ray on the other side of the street.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Hey Mike
    At least somebody in this forum used to live in my area! As for sweat, I think, as everything with bees, it depends... I guess, bees could adapt to your appearance, smell etc... another thing - may be your sweat is less smelly :-) ? I definitely smell suspicious to them especially after inspection! Also, I do find that they hated smoke from pine needles... I switched to the pepper-tree lives and it is much better now. I am thinking, may be I should use dry rose petals to satisfy my girls? Having only two hives, I could afford experimenting.
    Houston... I have very mixed feelings about that place: good cheap food, great ballet but so hot and humid ... How is this honey season in your area? Sergey

Sergey,
    We are in a minor derth and I got my first NUC on 2 June, but re-queened twice in June. Now in 2 10 frame deeps with one med. super. Last Sat. No build out in the super yet (2 foundationless Kelley, & the rest Dadant wood frame plastic foundation on all three boxes). Sat I had foundationless build starts on the four deeps. I put a gallon of syrup w/HBH & Amino-B Booster yesterday and they had it bone dry tonight. I hope to build my hive up so I can do a split this month so I have two hives to beef up before winter. I do not expect to harvest until next year. Oct. My Borage patch, 4' X 12' should be blossoming. Our first frost is like 10 Dec.
    Thanks for the tag up.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Mike
    What is amino-B-booster? Is it replacement for pollen? Sergey

It is just the opposite for me. When I go out in plain clothes, they could care less that I am there. No matter what color I am wearing. But as soon as I put on the veil, they are on me.
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Mike
    What is amino-B-booster? Is it replacement for pollen? Sergey
    Read in the link below. It is made by the same company as Honey Bee Healthy. I use both together trying to get them to build up and build comb on empty foundation.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/473/
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a