Question what is the best Hive top feeder

Hi i have been using jars on inner covers i made for feeding nucs and splits i did, but i want a better hive top feeder, and i don't know what one is the better one to go with? i hear so many different things about drowning and robbing and leaking ect.. What hive top feeder is everyone going with this year ?? and if you make them , could you share plans or tell me how to make my own or where to buy them .

Thanks

Ben

Default Re: what is the best Hive top feeder

OK, first the disclaimer; I haven't used these yet, but a fellow beek has them and really likes them. I plan to order a few because they really look like a great feeder. The price looks good too, even coming from Canada.

http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/inde...keyword=feeder

If the link doesn't work, they're called the "Rapid Feeder" and are sold by "The Bee Works" of which I have no affiliation.

Ken.
    Last edited by KenS; 08-06-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling error

I have a brushy mountain and a dadant hive top feeder with floats. He brushy works fine. The dadant leaks like a sieve. I've sealed as the instructions say but it still leaks

Going to build three of the Fat Bee Man feeders this weekend.

http://www.dixiebeesupply.com/Dixieb..._Supplies.html

He also has videos on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=...&v=Lx-pCxdM2NU
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

IMHO: The best one is the one in the corner of the honey house collecting dust. Any I have tried drowned bees like crazy.

I have tried almost all the hive top feeders on the market, and the best is Mann Lake's hive top feeder. NO leaks and VERY little to no drowned bees.

Best I have seen is build your own from plans on Beesource Home page. I made simple corners and glue. Need to silicone wood to all wood connections and inside corners when completed. I used screws on the outside corners and the plywood bottom makes the feeder solid.

Some problem with mildew growth. I added 1/2 inch screened holes on each side each reservoir. Also use 1 Tbsp of lemon juice per quart. Do need to clean with a bleach solution every six weeks,

Very minimal drowning, no bridge comb, bees will use in colder temps, holds two gallons, no bees in the face when feeding, fast to fill
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I make my own feeder
    I use 6 1x6 cut length wise with 1x1 on the top side
    1x3 on the ends
    On the bottom I use 2x1/4 all way around making it also a top entrance
    3 5/8 hole on top for 2 1 lb jars with a 6 5/8 supper on top
    I use this also to feed sugar mix dadent dry patty mix
    I use 1 1/2 staples mostly 1/4 on the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    Best I have seen is build your own from plans on Beesource Home page.
    So I am looking at these plans and have a question. The diagram isn't very clear on how the bottom is set up. Is there a 3/4" slot that goes from one side to the other that the bees crawl up, then they go over the ends of the syrup reservoir, and down the "V" screen into the syrup?

Diagram was somewhat confusing, but you've figured it out. There is a 3/4 inch slot on the bottom that bees crawl up. They then crawl over the end of the syrup reservoir board. The end board of the reservoir is about 1/2 inch lower than the side wall height and one end of the V'd screen is stapled to it. They then crawl down the V to the syrup to height, The interior cross board is a baffle that allows the syrup to flow under it and is the back attachment board for the V screen.

Made my perimeter out of 2 x 4 material and bottom is 3/4 plywood nailed to 2 x 4 perimeter. Also added a 3/8 lip on the under side so bees can crawl over top of frames.

Just thinking that one could wax the interior of the reservoir prior to inserting the baffle and also wax the baffle. This should minimize mildew growth.

Will send this and include a picture in a subsequent post.

Should be pics of wood Miller feeder.

P1010333.JPGP1010332.JPG