Default Mexhanix gloves?

Did a forum search and couldn't find this one and am curious
    (Having found the search feature hopefully I'll ask less repetitive questions)

I use the mechanics gloves a lot, working on tight small motors and gardening. They are very dextrious and a good feel. I was wondering if anyone had tried them for working bees? I don't have a hive yet and hoping for spring, it was a thought that occurred to me.
    Instagram,Twitter
    @revphule

Default Re: Mexhanix gloves?

I think you will find the bee's can sting through the elastic areas of the gloves.

I think you would find nitrile gloves will let you keep your dexterity when learning how to handle frames. If I wear gloves, that's what I use. I have been stung through them, but not often, and a few stings are good for me anyway. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

I like blue nitrile gloves because I'm managing several apiaries and can toss the gloves. If a colony gets aggressive will slip the leather on over the blue ones.
    It's a big help to dust your hands with powder before you try putting on the nitrile gloves. They slip on easily but if you're sweaty it becomes work.

Stings thru the nitrile gloves are not nearly as bad as being unprotected because the stinger can't get in very far. If you double up the nitrile gloves your protection quadruples it seems like. (two pairs)

Tried mechanix gloves but mine are black and that didn't last very long.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Go with the nitrile gloves, you can buy them in different weights (4 mil, 6 mil, etc.) and even flocked inside if you want. Gemplar's has several options and sizes and you can buy in bulk. The nitrile works when you're installing MAQS also.
    "Sometimes the best action is no action at all."
    Started 2011, 3-10 frame hives; 2016, 36-8 frame hives, 5 nucs.

Aren't the palms of mechanic gloves all black? Maybe if they made white gloves with white palms.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I have. I use a pair of red wing gloves. They are leather and nylon I guess. The bees can not sting you thru the leather and I've seen a few try and get me thru the nylon material. Try I said. Since I've been wearing them no stings. When I go deep in the hive I thro a pair of surgical gloves over them and I'm safe as can be. I wouldn't go cheap on them get a pair that has leather on them. Got mine at the red wing store for $25 a pair. They even have a xtra heavy duty material over the fingers, and Palm. Good gloves.

I use blue nitrile under golf gloves. Only had one sting this way. There thin yet protective.
    I also use an Original Bugshirt Elite for a jacket. About $65, packable, and cool. Not been stung through it yet.

I've used white. yellow, and black rubber gloves - colour doesn't seem to be an issue. But in my experience they're only good for 2 or 3 hives at a time before they're full of sweat and there's a need to change 'em for a pair of dry gloves. Good for keeping propolis off the hands - but otherwise too much hassle in anything but the smallest of apiaries ...
    LJ

I've been using a leather goat skin glove that I pick up at a auto supply for about 6 bucks , I sew a little longer cuff on so the don't pull out of my jacket sleeve , have had the same pair for two seasons now .

I buy buckskin or doeskin gloves and just tuck them into my sleeves. They are thin enough that you can feel pretty well through them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF

Smile Re: Mexhanix gloves?

[QUOTE=Revphule;1326101]Did a forum search and couldn't find this one and am curious
    (Having found the search feature hopefully I'll ask less repetitive questions)

I use the mechanics gloves a lot, working on tight small motors and gardening. They are very dextrious and a good feel. I was wondering if anyone had tried them for working bees? I don't have a hive yet and hoping for spring, it was a thought that occurred to me.[/QUOTE

Mostly I don't wear gloves but I do wear long pants and tea shirt to work my bees.
    I have seven hives here in "Beautiful Pahrump NV", I requeen my hives with Italian queens every year and don't have any problem working with them

Larry S.