Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Varroa

Default Re: Varroa

how effective is formic acid

and how do you apply it

I've from many that vaporizing oxalic acid is one the best treatments out there considering the low cost rate

In my short bee keeping experience I have learned that it is fairly easy to keep new hives nucs and packages alive and prospering. But, it is a little harder to keep 2-3 year old hives alive. I am pretty sure this is because of the mites and the problems they pass on to the bees. JMHO[/QUOTE] Johng

I take this as a wake up call John, fits my situation exactly. I will treat with Hopguard before winter. Thanks!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Research studies show about 90-95% knockdown efficacy for formic treatments properly administered.

I believe the numbers for mineral oil fogging are something like 40% and oxalic fogging around 50% but I might need to dig through some research papers to verify this.

Apiguard thymol treatments are similar to formic I believe but cannot be on when you have honey supers. I will probably use Apiguard in spring if needed as it seems to be less disruptive to queen production and brood death than formic.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    and how do you apply it
    If you buy a tub of MAQS the instructions are included.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post

I believe the numbers for mineral oil fogging are something like 40% and oxalic fogging around 50% but I might need to dig through some research papers to verify this.
    I don't know anyone who does oxalic fogging. Many do vaporization. I find that I get about 90% with oxalic vaporization 3 -4X a week apart starting in the middle of august. I get good winter bees that way.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    I don't know anyone who does oxalic fogging. Many do vaporization. I find that I get about 90% with oxalic vaporization 3 -4X a week apart starting in the middle of august. I get good winter bees that way.
    Do you do a treatment every 3-4 weeks or 3-4 every week?

I do one treatment a week for 3 -4 weeks.

thanks for the great info Comollo even though i think the numbers of using oxalic are higher then you have there.
    Regardless im definatly considering Formic (especially after talking to MP) as well as the other options. Right now i do have Apiguard in my bee shack so what i think ill do is after i take the supers off ill do another mite count and after that treat two hives with apiguard and two hives ill do vaporizing with oxalic and see the results.
    As for while the supers are on i think since Im already into the 2nd week of my planned fogging/sugar shake treatment ill see it to the end and when i take the supers off and do a mite count if Im not satisfied with the results ill have Formic in mind most likely for next year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12