Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New, can't find queen

First year nucs will rarely produce a surplus, but it should be a minimum of 20 drawn deeps at this point, and probably 40 in a year like this.

I have first year packages that drew 20 deeps, 10 mediums and filled the mediums with honey this season... they were hived the first week of May. That is without feeding sugar syrup.

Have you thought about putting this nuc in an Observation hive and wintering them indoors? It would be fun to watch and would give you the best control over feeding.

I could put the hive in the barn for the winter but not sure how an observation hive would work. what about cleansing flights?

so how many pounds of honey did I miss out on?

I have used PVC pipe to a nearby window so they could fly. Works pretty well.

Hard to say, but I think a nuc this season in your area should have had at least 30 lbs of surplus if started in April/May.

You lost a lot for sure. A good season here in New England. A wee bit more rain is needed to make it a banner year. Despite that your goal is to make sure they have a large happy healthy broodnest going into winter with enough stores to survive. Don't stop feeding and if you don't see them bringing in pollen consider throwing a pollen patty on them. I doubt you will need that though as goldenrod pollen is coming in by the boatloads here right now.

Read a book or two and get into the bee groove. Beekeeping for Dummies is actually a great book. I suggest it to many people.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

I did an inspection at beginning of sundown today I so:
    1. about 10 times more bees than a week ego.
    2.plenty of syrup from last week not eaten (not sure it was even touched)
    3. more caped brood than before.
    4. No new drawn out frames. When I tried to pull the frames they noticed me started flying at me, could not see much without a camera anyway.
    5 Nothing in the upper supra but the were trying to build on queen exclude so I removed it.
    6. The supra boxes I bought are so crappy that the bees can fit between them.
    7. are they are still being robbed? What can I do.
    8. still deciding on a 3 1/2 hour drive to the conference tomorrow, is it worth it to take the 2 day short course?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by MeBee View Post
    I did an inspection at beginning of sundown today I so:
    1. about 10 times more bees than a week ego.
    2.plenty of syrup from last week not eaten (not sure it was even touched)
    3. more caped brood than before.
    4. No new drawn out frames. When I tried to pull the frames they noticed me started flying at me, could not see much without a camera anyway.
    5 Nothing in the upper supra but the were trying to build on queen exclude so I removed it.
    6. The supra boxes I bought are so crappy that the bees can fit between them.
    7. are they are still being robbed? What can I do.
    8. still deciding on a 3 1/2 hour drive to the conference tomorrow, is it worth it to take the 2 day short course?
    What type of feeder do you have on? If top feeder the Qx could explain why they are not taking the feed. The fall flow could also explain it. I would just leave the feed on them so that if they want it they can get to it.

By "fit between the boxes" you mean there are gaps between when you stack the boxes? Was in new or used equipment? If it was new that is an issue with the boxes getting assembled crooked. If they are not glued you can take them apart and fix that. Otherwise tape up the seams as that gives them extra space to guard and waste resources.

They may not put away stores. Bees have to be selected to be productive and sometimes a queen is just not productive.

The Conference would be a great experience. I wouldn't miss it.... but then somehow do every year

If there are wide gaps between boxes I would put tape over them to prevent unwanted bees from entering.

Someone referred to 2:1 syrup as being two parts water to one sugar. Normally, when referring to syrup, 2:1 is TWO sugar to ONE water.

I don't know what size boxes you're using but you might want to get things setup for Winter. Michael Bush uses a 5:3 syrup regardless of the season. Five sugar...

What is the hive configuration? 8 frame, 10 frame, deep/medium? Think Winter.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I have a 10 frame deep with medium on top currently the feeder is in place of one of the frames. Originally I did 2sugar to one water but this time I changed to 2 water one sugar because of the previous recommendation. The area behind the hive is all forest, neighbors have plenty of planted flowers. It looks like the top of the box is not perfectly straight, will make my own in the future. I did seal all holes when painting but the bees are small and resourceful.

I am thinking winter but the bees seem to be less concerned than me about it. I can try baggy on top with 5:3 and see what happens but it really looks like they are not interested.
    I will go with a camera and take picture again, I'm finding it very hard to know what I'm looking at without enlarging pictures.
    All of the advice is very appreciated.

The hive is also too light, I picked it up yesterday to align everything better. Any advise to make them put away reserves?

Dont worry about sealing holes. The bees do a great job of it themselves! Feed them 1:1 sugar syrup unless it is starting to get cold out, and then give them 2:1 sugarater.